OP
Iona Skye

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Iona Skye and welcome :)

Don't let anyone tell you this hobby is too expensive. You could easily get a tank up and running for a few hundred bucks. You just have to buy used and be smart about what you buy.

Also, is that a loggerhead in your profile picture? I work at the National Aquarium in Baltimore and we were rehabilitating a baby loggerhead that didn't make it to the ocean after he hatched. He was the cutest thing ever.

IMG_20180415_083134.jpg

Yes, it is in fact your same little loggerhead!! how awesome is that, it's like you recognized your baby. Whenever I visit Baltimore I spend every spare moment at the National Aquarium. I wonder if I've met you! Does the loggerhead have a name?

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Iona Skye Welcome to R2R!

Plug into your local club, there's almost always someone getting rid of everything for pennies on the dollar. I'm not sure if you can buy on here until you get enough posts, but you can't sell until you have X number of meaningful posts. Check out the Sale forums and see if this is the case? Take your time, read up, collect equipment, ask questions

Here's a pic from one of my favorite articles on reefkeeping, applicable to new hobbyists and old as well:

eb_reef.jpg

The nitrogen cycle is only the startup of a SW tank cycle. The next 6-12 months is a maturing phase, and it's typically in this time frame where algae outbreaks occur and things can sort of roller-coaster, and if you stock the tank up too quickly, you might see corals randomly dying & fish getting sick, etc...hobbyists can very easily fall into the trap of chasing problems = making more problems => giving up and selling everything off. We don't want that to happen to anyone!

Long-term stability and balance are the keys, and you just can't shortcut the process significantly. That's always the #1 thing to keep in mind!

OP
OP
Iona Skye

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Iona Skye Welcome to R2R!

Plug into your local club, there's almost always someone getting rid of everything for pennies on the dollar. I'm not sure if you can buy on here until you get enough posts, but you can't sell until you have X number of meaningful posts. Check out the Sale forums and see if this is the case? Take your time, read up, collect equipment, ask questions

Here's a pic from one of my favorite articles on reefkeeping, applicable to new hobbyists and old as well:

eb_reef.jpg

The nitrogen cycle is only the startup of a SW tank cycle. The next 6-12 months is a maturing phase, and it's typically in this time frame where algae outbreaks occur and things can sort of roller-coaster, and if you stock the tank up too quickly, you might see corals randomly dying & fish getting sick, etc...hobbyists can very easily fall into the trap of chasing problems = making more problems => giving up and selling everything off. We don't want that to happen to anyone!

Long-term stability and balance are the keys, and you just can't shortcut the process significantly. That's always the #1 thing to keep in mind!
Yes sir! Thanks for the advice.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back