Greetings! First attempt at a reef tank!

OP
OP
The Wandering Will

The Wandering Will

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a plan? If so, tell us about it!

Remember: Decide what fish you'd like to keep and build your system around that.
Why yes I do!

I already have a 55 gallon tank with LEDs for lighting. The goal is to keep coral (most likely LPS but I just love the look of SPS) and decorative macroalgae/plants with compatible pretty fish (goal of a Mandarinfish after a year).

I’m currently researching power heads and wave makers. I’m wondering if you can have one of each? I want surface agitation to cause shimmer, but I also want the sway of waves.

OP
OP
The Wandering Will

The Wandering Will

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, we're friendly here, we say hello to EVERYONE LOL
ZomboMeme 23022021131910.jpg
Those are so beautiful!! I want!!!

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! From the sounds of it youre starting fresh with no knowledge, i highly recommend watching some bulk reef supply videos like their 5minute guide for basic knowledge or their 52 weeks of reefing for more advanced knowledge that covers 90% of everything youd need to know.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a mistake a little while ago and referred someone to Google to answer an obvious question.

What I should have said is search on the forums first, because someone likely far more experienced and far more knowledgeable than me or you has likely answered something you're curious about in amazing detail.

We are fortunate to have several experts in their field here, happy to donate their time. Welcome to R2R and we'll do our best to steer you in the right direction! I know I've already learned a thing or two.

I highly recommend a good reefing book like the Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner, or a video series on YouTube like BRS 52 weeks of reefing or someone like ReefDork.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why yes I do!

I already have a 55 gallon tank with LEDs for lighting. The goal is to keep coral (most likely LPS but I just love the look of SPS) and decorative macroalgae/plants with compatible pretty fish (goal of a Mandarinfish after a year).

I’m currently researching power heads and wave makers. I’m wondering if you can have one of each? I want surface agitation to cause shimmer, but I also want the sway of waves.

So, you are using your 55 for this? Things to consider:

1. Consider using a sump. It provides filtration, a skimmer and room for other things you will need.
  2. Lighting is key. LED sounds nice for lighting, but will it provide the power you need for good coral growth?
  3. You will want an RODI filter to create water suitable for new salt water mix.
  4. You will want to invest in a salt water test kit. This will be important when cycling your tank.

OP
OP
The Wandering Will

The Wandering Will

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, you are using your 55 for this? Things to consider:

1. Consider using a sump. It provides filtration, a skimmer and room for other things you will need.
  2. Lighting is key. LED sounds nice for lighting, but will it provide the power you need for good coral growth?
  3. You will want an RODI filter to create water suitable for new salt water mix.
  4. You will want to invest in a salt water test kit. This will be important when cycling your tank.
RODI is on the to do list before beginning the cycle, as well as the test lit

I also have a T5 housing that I plan on using in conjunction with the LED, so I’m hoping that’ll be a good little boost during peak day time.

The sump was a head scratcher. My stand could only fit a 5 gallon tank with the width it offers, and I’m positive that’s way too small.

Can you do several 5 gallon tanks side by side? Because that honestly sounds like a recipe for disaster, but I’m green therefore I don’t know.

Thanks for the run down!

OP
OP
The Wandering Will

The Wandering Will

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a mistake a little while ago and referred someone to Google to answer an obvious question.

What I should have said is search on the forums first, because someone likely far more experienced and far more knowledgeable than me or you has likely answered something you're curious about in amazing detail.

We are fortunate to have several experts in their field here, happy to donate their time. Welcome to R2R and we'll do our best to steer you in the right direction! I know I've already learned a thing or two.

I highly recommend a good reefing book like the Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner, or a video series on YouTube like BRS 52 weeks of reefing or someone like ReefDork.
All my research kept coming back here so… I agree!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back