Greetings from New York!

calila

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my name is Claudia. I live in NYC and I am extremely new to this world.
I guess as many people, because of the pandemic I got pulled into this. I took my niece's fresh water tank and put it together (not that hard) and then I realized I wanted more. So after doing some research, I bought the Fluval 13.5 Gallon Evo XII (I live in the city so small apartments) and I figured it would be a good size to learn.
Right now all I've been doing is reading articles and this forum has been great to learn from people with more experience. I am so excited!
This week I will get all the things I ordered to start my journey into reefing, I can't wait!!
:)

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fellow Fluval owner here! and,

Welcome to R2R.jpg

OP
OP
calila

calila

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, great bunch of folks! I am about 4 months ahead of you so if you have any questions feel free to ask. I asked about 1000 starting since I was even more clueless! lol

Ohh good to know... I might take you up on that, I have sooo many questions at the moment, and I haven't even started!!

OP
OP
calila

calila

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, I am from Long Island but lived in Queens for many years and worked in Manhattan for 40 years.
Nice to meet you.

Hi, so nice meeting you!!!
My family lives in Queens, so during this time, I've been going to their house during the weekends.
Do you have a store nearby where you can shop around for supplies? I went to one during the weekend in Flushing,
New York Reef Aquatic, it is a really cool store. Do you have any suggestions?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calila, I am sure you know Manhattan Aquarium in Midtown. That is the only one I know of in Manhattan. In Queens there are many. I started Fish Town USA on salt water fish in the early 70s and I have not been there in a few years. I heard they went downhill since then. Their livestock was not really taken care of but they imported their own fish so they used to have more unusual stuff that I couldn't get anywhere else. They are on Northern Blvd.

I moved out of there years ago so I don't really know of any good stores there. There is a very good store near Port Jefferson but the place is filthy. He has great stuff, mostly fish as his corals stink, but his prices are a third of most places.
"Aqua Hut". Unfortunately not in Queens.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back