Greg's Red sea 525 xl build

Jonesyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after trying saltwater for the first time with my Juwel Vision 260 I quickly realized I wanted a bigger tank with a sump, so I have ordered a red sea reefer 525 xl which will arrive in a few weeks! I will keep track of my build here and equipment I choose along the way.

Spec so far:
  • Red Sea Reefer 525XL V3
  • Blau 8K DC return pump
  • Nyos Quantom 220 skimmer
  • AI Nero 5 x2
  • Maxspect gyre 4k
  • UV Filter
  • Refugium
  • Clarisea SK15
  • Apex classic
Livestock:
  • Clown fish x2
  • Blue damsel
  • Green mandarin
  • Royal gramma
  • Kole tang
  • Hippo tang
  • Purple tang
  • Turbo snails
  • Conch snails
  • Scarlet hermit crabs

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jonesyg

Jonesyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's job preparing for the new tank was to add some support under the floor to take the additional weight. Horrible cramped job in the 0.6m crawlspace but better than having the tank fall through the floor!

IMG_5077.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jonesyg

Jonesyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank finally arrived today!

IMG_5099.JPG

Started the build

IMG_5101.JPG

Im amazed this frame holds the entire weight of the tank full!

IMG_5105.JPG

IMG_5107.JPG

Very nice sump with thick glass

IMG_5108.JPG

IMG_5112.JPG

Finally finished! Apart from door alignment which isn't great.

30A1D13C-CE4D-45E3-B48F-90D25BC113F4.JPG

OP
OP
Jonesyg

Jonesyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is now cycling, however I have noticed a problem with the stand bending slightly on the side panels so waiting to hear back from red sea. Also had to put metal plates under the adjustment feet so they didn't dent into the wood floor.

IMG_5153.JPG

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like its going to be a great tank! Nice job making sure the house could support the tank and spotting the bow on your side panels - Ive heard of the top platform deflecting in the center before for larger Red Sea tanks but not side panels.

OP
OP
Jonesyg

Jonesyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks reeflab, I wanted to make sure there was no long term sagging of the joists and the wife was a tad paranoid especially as the tank runs parallel to the joists! Its nice insurance to have! Im not sure if the panels were warped from factory or due to the weight. However i noticed in a picture i took before adding water that the deflection was there so I am guessing its a manufacturing error. Im hoping to hear back from Red Sea today.

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks reeflab, I wanted to make sure there was no long term sagging of the joists and the wife was a tad paranoid especially as the tank runs parallel to the joists! Its nice insurance to have! Im not sure if the panels were warped from factory or due to the weight. However i noticed in a picture i took before adding water that the deflection was there so I am guessing its a manufacturing error. Im hoping to hear back from Red Sea today.
Hm hope not. That'd really be a pain to have to break that back down but better safe than sorry. whats happening to your old tank?

OP
OP
Jonesyg

Jonesyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep but less of a pain than the cabinet failing! I don't think it would but its out of principal it shouldn't be bent. Ill transfer all my fish and corals across once the tank is cycled, then sell the old tank. I won't be taking any live rock across as the tank has a lot of hitch hikers and bristle worms!

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had nothing but trouble with the standard RS top off float valve. Every 2-3 weeks I would have to take it apart and clean it out, I finally got a tunze osmilator and I can’t believe I didn’t do this earlier! Nice tank happy reefing!

OP
OP
Jonesyg

Jonesyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i took the plunge and went for "Chinese black box lighting" in the form of the Popbloom LED light kit with controller. So far very impressed, nice build quality and fully programmable. Not set up with a PAR meter as yet.

IMG_5223.JPG

OP
OP
Jonesyg

Jonesyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef seneye arrived today so checked my PAR levels with the lights 12" above the water, using chinese Popbloom LED's.

par.JPG

Might leave it as it is for now, the dip in the middle is due to running two banks of lighting and the cross over isn't great, the far front corners seem quite low but not planning on placing anything there anyway. Any recommendations welcome.

Darins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the cabinet you made out of the wood from delivery. If i end up buying the 525xl im going to have to copy that idea!

Luke’s reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays project was to install my new AI nero 5 and build an electrical cabinet. I used the wood from the shipping box the 525xl was delivered in!

IMG_5239.JPG

IMG_5240.JPG

IMG_5245.JPG

IMG_5254.JPG

IMG_5255.JPG
Wow I love this idea for cable management, Id have to figure out how to modify it a little tho as ill be putting a TK 1000 chiller in that area to.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back