Grey encrusting algae

LittleLakeReef

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 12, 2026
Messages
16
Reaction score
5
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20260928_173516_ACE27764-E9A1-4106-934C-33EE1030C4FB.png


20260928_173517_957715DB-514B-4140-A016-CBB1C188F2E5.png


20260928_173543_223BA693-1E62-442C-8587-B003D16DD34C.png


20260928_173543_8D740681-FD03-406D-817E-668C1483A8E3.png

This encrusting grey algae is taking over my tank and killing coral and destroying my coralline algae. What could it be and what can I do to stop it I’ve tried brushing it off but it trust to like dust and is dang near impossible to get off
 
It looks like a different type of Coraline algae. There are red, and green varieties..
Are you sure it's entrusting quick enough to kill a healthy coral.
 
Last edited:
Hard to tell if rock you have is carib sea rock which has a coraline purple look in spots or if you have established live rock with some purple coraline as well that was established before this gray algae you're referencing for starters. I will say when my phosphates rise a bit the purple coraline algae fights some red/cyanobacteria starting before lowering phosphates again that I suppose can look gray depending on lighting. Sorry for boring age old question(s), but it is important what is your Nitrate level, phosphate level, and minimally Alkaline?
 
@Mppp @Tahoe61
This is old rock tha has grown its own red purple pink blue and grey coralline algae over the years and now this almost dusty brownish grey is growing over it much faster then the coralline that was previously growing it’s almost growing over it and it’s taking over extremely fast it has grown up the back of the toad stool in the photos and has turned the back side of it grey and is killing it
My all stays between 7.3-7.5 my nitrates are below twenty usually around 16ppm
And my phos is below .1
 
Parameters seem alright to me although I wouldn't let nitrate get above 20 nor phosphate any higher. Alk couldn't hurt to boost a bit to 8ish but like anything everyone keeps slightly different with your levels being about min. I wonder if dead spots or lack of flow is a factor? Do you have wave makers? Your rock may be getting old(ish) and this is of my own opinion here and I don't mean trash it by any means. My tank has been running for 6 years and I've been having to do more water changes lately to keep nitrates at 11-13 ppm and phosphate .8-.10 and using phosguard with more sand/substrate agitation to stir up detritous and blowing rocks off some lately myself. Also, I've changed direction and pumped up flow on wavemakers a bit to prevent dead spots/settling of food/poop etc. I almost feel like my tank is going through a "turnover" type of phase as sometimes described in lakes so it's been a lot of work lately all of the sudden.
 
Parameters seem alright to me although I wouldn't let nitrate get above 20 nor phosphate any higher. Alk couldn't hurt to boost a bit to 8ish but like anything everyone keeps slightly different with your levels being about min. I wonder if dead spots or lack of flow is a factor? Do you have wave makers? Your rock may be getting old(ish) and this is of my own opinion here and I don't mean trash it by any means. My tank has been running for 6 years and I've been having to do more water changes lately to keep nitrates at 11-13 ppm and phosphate .8-.10 and using phosguard with more sand/substrate agitation to stir up detritous and blowing rocks off some lately myself. Also, I've changed direction and pumped up flow on wavemakers a bit to prevent dead spots/settling of food/poop etc. I almost feel like my tank is going through a "turnover" type of phase as sometimes described in lakes so it's been a lot of work lately all of the sudden.
So now that you say that changed my aquascape I have four vsp returns and two intank baffles the area where this started is right between both baffles in the tank i have added to more power heads to add flow but i do this it may have been a dead spot where the the water was stagnant any further knowledge on the concept will increased water flow kill the problem or have i now created a perpetual dooms day @Mppp
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new