Grey Guys New Tank Build

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

i have been gone for a few years. All my high tech, big dollar stuff got destroyed by water, so last time I was here I had crashed my deep sand bed and was pretty depressed. I kept the tank going with a thin sand bed for the last 5 years, just to take care of 2 small fish. Now that they are gone, I decided to go bare bottom and just wait for the coralline algae to get going strong.
Then I found some apraxia on one of the old rocks and decided to start completely over. All my rocks are soaking in bleach now. I just emptied and scraped the tank walls clean with water and bleach. Going to build a new aquascape in the empty tank after I cover underneath the tank with something that looks like sand.
It will take a few weeks to get the rocks ready and then I’ll get going again.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

i have been gone for a few years. All my high tech, big dollar stuff got destroyed by water, so last time I was here I had crashed my deep sand bed and was pretty depressed. I kept the tank going with a thin sand bed for the last 5 years, just to take care of 2 small fish. Now that they are gone, I decided to go bare bottom and just wait for the coralline algae to get going strong.
Then I found some apraxia on one of the old rocks and decided to start completely over. All my rocks are soaking in bleach now. I just emptied and scraped the tank walls clean with water and bleach. Going to build a new aquascape in the empty tank after I cover underneath the tank with something that looks like sand.
It will take a few weeks to get the rocks ready and then I’ll get going again.

Sorry for your losses, but sounds like you have lots of BBA - Bounce Back Ability. We can all use BBA in this hobby

OP
OP
Grey Guy

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fingers crossed and best of luck. Start a build thread so we can follow along?
Can you give me step by step instruction on how to start a build thread. Do I just keep making updates on general forum or is there a way to specifically create a build thread only about my build?

OP
OP
Grey Guy

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing to soak all my rocks in bleach. Making modifications to tank. Removed splash rim in the back so that I have a wider opening to my overflow. I have decided to run my 2 current 1900 eflow pumps in the bottom of the tank, hidden by rocks. I will mount them on pieces of plexiglass so the stay put.
I’m going to close the bulkheads
on the bottom of the overflow and turn it into a mini sump. 5” c 6” x 21”. It will hold a circulation pump and hide my heaters. Basically I’m turning my 24 x 24 x48 reef tank into an all in one. I have an external skimmer that I will install later.
I intend to build a dry rockscape inside the tank and place pumps and all before adding water. I will make the circulation pumps behind the rocks, easily removable.
That’s the plan for now. I am getting old and it’s harder and harder to work under the tank, so I want to keep as much as possible up on top. So far salt mix tank and chiller will go underneath. Trying to decide what to do for a quarantine tank.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Grey Guy

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered some 1” flat glass beads.
Really cheep. I’m going to glue them under my rock to create a stable base that won’t tip over. Then when I’m satisfied, just a small drop of super glue will secure them to the glass bottom. This will create a uniform space under the rock that can be swept out with water flow. Any thoughts?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be detritus traps? While space is available to allow flow, unless you are actively pushing water down there, it's not going to get much of any flow.

OP
OP
Grey Guy

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be detritus traps? While space is available to allow flow, unless you are actively pushing water down there, it's not going to get much of any flow.
Yes, I plan to push water under the reef continuously or intermittently.

DKPminus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the addiction of reefing. Hope you rebuild works out. My tank sat for about 12 yrs and decided to upgrade the system and start again about 4 months ago. It is addicting.

Attachments

• 4D0F8793-FB18-45E9-B25C-101DD896BE03.jpeg
    4D0F8793-FB18-45E9-B25C-101DD896BE03.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 18
  • 096ABB4B-D55D-49D8-91FB-A63331C6465C.jpeg
    096ABB4B-D55D-49D8-91FB-A63331C6465C.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
Grey Guy

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is.
I have switched this thread to a new build thread “Grey Guy’s 8th try”. So if you are here, please head over there. Thanks for all the coments.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back