Griessingei Goby / Flaming Prawn Goby

StarterSaltWater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dropping in to see if anyone has experience with these, I have purchased a fully quarantined fish (I am very excited) that has been in my reef (Fluval Evo 13.5) for a few days. It is difficult to see if it is continuing to eat due to its size and ability to hide in many many crevice's but at the levels / foods I am feeding I'm sure it is finding something...

My main question is, does anyone have experience/ trips and tricks with this little fish / anything on luring them out or will it get more social as time passes and it adjusts? I only have it with a Pink Streak Wrasse, Yellow Clown Goby, 2 mocha storm clowns and a fire shrimp. Invertebrates include a small red sea star and a few small hermits so nothing aggressive.

Any advice is always appreciated! Happy Reefing!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can maybe bump the thread for you to see if we can get you some help

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Take out the sea star, it's just going to starve. All non-brittle, non-asterina starfish are doomed in small tanks, and most are doomed in anything that's not massive. They last a few months before starving, though.

Five fish in a 13gal is badly overstocked, and clownfish are aggressive. You should have two fish at most in that tank, maybe three if it's the prawn goby, the clown goby, and something else.

The best way to keep a secretive fish fed is to maintain a nice population of pods for it to snack on. I've got a goby and blenny that I only feed every few days, because they stay fat on pods.
(Note: all reef fish should eat at least once daily, if not more. This is a well-established tank with lots of pods, and I carefully monitor them to make sure they stay plump, as well as keeping an eye on pod populations.)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blenny that I only feed every few days, because they stay fat on pods.
This shouldn’t be done imo, even though it may be an escenius Blenny it still needs algae Atleast once a day.
The goby does naturally eat pods though so yes if you have a well seeded tank then it can just live on pods.
My yasha hides in my 20g nano (there’s a total of 5, don’t even mention it being overstocked. I have plans for two of them)
The other 4 fish in there are:
- Naoko fairy wrasse (I know they get 3-4”, this is only a 2” fish and needs to grow more before going in the same tank with a Scott’s wrasse that’s around 2.5”)
- Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (I know the pod population can’t sustain this fish, and I know it gets to 4” and needs the swim room, she is only a 1” juvie and stays fat with feeding once a day)
- Cryptic sixline (Gets along fine with the leopard and both have enough pods, it gets seeded every week and both are fat)
- Dot dash Blenny (Macroalgae is in the tank and he pecks at it sometimes, but he prefers the hair algae that shows up)
My tank has been up for 6 months, the yasha always gets some form of food a day and is still fat.
He hides under the rocks that are very hard to get food in but he made an entire tunnel system where he can get food from the back and front.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's a roughhead blenny. Like a miniature barnacle blenny. No algae required. And even if it was an algae-eating blenny species, an algae-eating blenny in an appropriately sized tank can often find enough algae on its own to do just fine.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a roughhead blenny. Like a miniature barnacle blenny. No algae required. And even if it was an algae-eating blenny species, an algae-eating blenny in an appropriately sized tank can often find enough algae on its own to do just fine.

That’s true, however I still don’t recommend it to newbies because of the not so seeded tanks - I have had mine set up for 6 months so I can trust there to be enough pods for both of my fish that graze pods all day.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This shouldn’t be done imo, even though it may be an escenius Blenny it still needs algae Atleast once a day.
The goby does naturally eat pods though so yes if you have a well seeded tank then it can just live on pods.
My yasha hides in my 20g nano (there’s a total of 5, don’t even mention it being overstocked. I have plans for two of them)
The other 4 fish in there are:
- Naoko fairy wrasse (I know they get 3-4”, this is only a 2” fish and needs to grow more before going in the same tank with a Scott’s wrasse that’s around 2.5”)
- Blue Star Leopard Wrasse (I know the pod population can’t sustain this fish, and I know it gets to 4” and needs the swim room, she is only a 1” juvie and stays fat with feeding once a day)
- Cryptic sixline (Gets along fine with the leopard and both have enough pods, it gets seeded every week and both are fat)
- Dot dash Blenny (Macroalgae is in the tank and he pecks at it sometimes, but he prefers the hair algae that shows up)
My tank has been up for 6 months, the yasha always gets some form of food a day and is still fat.
He hides under the rocks that are very hard to get food in but he made an entire tunnel system where he can get food from the back and front.
Actually the Scott’s wrasse seems to have hit 3” now, I have had him for 8 months and he was around 2”-2.5” when I got him

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like I said, it needs to be a heavily established tank with a load of pods. Mine was over a year before I even thought about getting a fish, and I only got one because the amphipods were running amok. I just mention it because the best way to keep a flaming prawn goby fed would probably just be to have a load of pods, since they're such a timid fish.

5 fish in a 20gal is pushing it, but as long as you take both wrasses out quick as soon as they start getting anywhere near the cutoff point, you're probably okay. Though I'd worry about aggression between them.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 fish in a 20gal is pushing it, but as long as you take both wrasses out quick as soon as they start getting anywhere near the cutoff point, you're probably okay. Though I'd worry about aggression between them.
I know this however can you imagine a not even 1” Blue star leopard wrasse in a tank with an already established:
- Tang,
- Scott’s Fairy Wrasse,
- Aggressive CBB.
It probably wouldn’t be alive,
I keep the naoko in that tank so the Blue star can get used to a wrasse she will be with for the rest of her life but also so he can grow some more before going in with a 2” Bristletooth, 3” Scott’s, 2” male CBB

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a flaming prawn today. Put him in the tank and went out for the evening. Came black and can’t find it anywhere. Oh well will look tomorrow. Mine is tiny. So I hope it survives.

Attachments

• 743A9E20-D9E4-4A18-A6D0-BEB5E0B093A0.jpeg
    743A9E20-D9E4-4A18-A6D0-BEB5E0B093A0.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 73
  • F9754D78-5B05-41DE-BA5A-7FCFF03ECE11.jpeg
    F9754D78-5B05-41DE-BA5A-7FCFF03ECE11.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 57

stklaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a flaming Prawn goby for about a year now. He/she is obviously doing great, never showed signs of disease or loss of appetite so I'd consider mine reasonably hardy for a shrimp Goby. I have added pods intermittently into my 20g nano, but it will typically sit on the sand and wait for a small piece of frozen brine or a reef frenzy bit to float by its mouth. Mostly he hides under a rock(s), but I'll see an evening appearance skimming along the bottom around meal time. Not skittish or easily frightened; just doesn't come out for long stays.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back