Grocery Shopping For A Snowflake Eel | Reef Tank

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you feed your snowflake eel? Mine hates silverside and only wants to eat raw shrimp but tht gets expensive so idk what to do now and thinking about giving him away

OP
OP
FishOfHex

FishOfHex

Reefer & 3D Printer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you feed your snowflake eel? Mine hates silverside and only wants to eat raw shrimp but tht gets expensive so idk what to do now and thinking about giving him away
Atm every other day. Have you tried scallops?

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way I have found to feed your eels.

Very nice! My only question is how did you pass up those clams? :D Freeze and unthaw as needed, I take 2 and place in a red solo cup with some tank water and within a few minutes they pop open.

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried clams or squid? My eel cost me about $30 a month to feed what I mentioned.

OP
OP
FishOfHex

FishOfHex

Reefer & 3D Printer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! My only question is how did you pass up those clams? :D Freeze and unthaw as needed, I take 2 and place in a red solo cup with some tank water and within a few minutes they pop open.
For $14 i have a ton of food. If i didnt get octopus i probably would of got them

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried clams or squid? My eel cost me about $30 a month to feed what I mentioned.

Yes i have tried clam strips and he use to eat them but now once in a blue he will eat it... As far as squid goes no i have never tried squid but ill look into tht as well as scallops i guess to see if they are any cheaper than shrimp lol

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i have tried clam strips and he use to eat them but now once in a blue he will eat it... As far as squid goes no i have never tried squid but ill look into tht as well as scallops i guess to see if they are any cheaper than shrimp lol
Can you get whole clams in a shell?

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup i tried tht and he doesn't pay it any mind at all... I figured maybe because its in a shell so thts y i started trying the strips instead :/
Did you freeze and unthaw in a cup of water so that the shell pops open? I take the meat out of the shell with a plastic fork and cut into 2-3 pieces. I do leave on the shell a small piece and he's able to get off (I don't do often as he shakes it like crazy).

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silversides are nutritionally bad anyways. However, to feed him cheaper food, try soaking the food in garlic. That should whet his appetite.

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silversides are nutritionally bad anyways. However, to feed him cheaper food, try soaking the food in garlic. That should whet his appetite.

I thought silversides were really good thts y i always tried to force feed him tht since most of my fish loves it.. I havent tried garlic for him so i will now to see wht happens. Thnks

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought silversides were really good thts y i always tried to force feed him tht since most of my fish loves it.. I havent tried garlic for him so i will now to see wht happens. Thnks
Unless they're live or fresh, they're not going to be super nutricious by themselves. You need to feed a variety to your fish.

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless they're live or fresh, they're not going to be super nutricious by themselves. You need to feed a variety to your fish.

Can you give me some better ideas? I feed my fish silversides, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp.

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine when he was small. About 7 inches. He eats off a stainless steel poker thingy I have. He'll eat and kind of crustacean I give him. He usually gets table shrimp though. Sometimes he'll take a silver side, but doesn't really like them that much. Clams, oysters, and scallops are also great.
Good luck!

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give me some better ideas? I feed my fish silversides, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp.
Thing about your list is that they all contain thiaminase. That can cause a steady decline in your fishes' health over time.
http://wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_1/thiaminase.htm

But at the same time, there's another problem, and that's the loss of vitamins due to freezing/processing. Your fish can become "full" without consuming any of the vitamins or minerals they need. For that, I recommend adding vitamin supplements to your fishes' food. However, you might be able to just get away with feeding them a huge variety of food. Always keep changing it up.

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing about your list is that they all contain thiaminase. That can cause a steady decline in your fishes' health over time.
http://wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_1/thiaminase.htm

But at the same time, there's another problem, and that's the loss of vitamins due to freezing/processing. Your fish can become "full" without consuming any of the vitamins or minerals they need. For that, I recommend adding vitamin supplements to your fishes' food. However, you might be able to just get away with feeding them a huge variety of food. Always keep changing it up.

Ok thanks... I actually ordered some vitamins so ill start letting it soak in thier food.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 57 74.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back