Ground probe

Hilltop Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was doing some maintenance on the the tank and when I put my hand in the sump I could feel a little electricity. I started unplugging equipment and the only time I didn't feel it was when I unplugged the ground probe. Which is opposite from expected. Anyone ever have anything like this happen? I can't figure it out!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was doing some maintenance on the the tank and when I put my hand in the sump I could feel a little electricity. I started unplugging equipment and the only time I didn't feel it was when I unplugged the ground probe. Which is opposite from expected. Anyone ever have anything like this happen? I can't figure it out!
Does your ground probe plug into a wall or a power strip?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it plugged into a power strip
There is a chance that the ground in your power strip isn't connected to building ground and that the hot leg in the power strip is shorting to the ground.
I'm guessing you don't have a GFCI but I really recommend getting a portable one to at least do testing with. Something like this is great to keep around if you don't want your tank on a GFCI full time.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shock-Bust...-Single-to-Single-Yellow-GFCI-Adapter/1135923

I think in this case you will find that the problem is in your power strip. It would likely trip as soon as you plugged just the power strip into the GFCI. Definitely a fire risk if this is the case.

OP
OP
Hilltop Aquariums

Hilltop Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will check them out. Thank you. The tank is flush with the wall and all my equipment is in a room behind the tank. When I built the room I ran a separate line to the room on its own breaker in the panel. Can I put in a gfci breaker on the panel instead of on the outlets?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will check them out. Thank you. The tank is flush with the wall and all my equipment is in a room behind the tank. When I built the room I ran a separate line to the room on its own breaker in the panel. Can I put in a gfci breaker on the panel instead of on the outlets?
That is actually a really good way to do it. Having the small portable unit is still very nice to have so you can troubleshoot one piece of equipment at a time.

OP
OP
Hilltop Aquariums

Hilltop Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found 1 of my gyres was the culprit. I emailed coral view and the find not hesitate to send me a new motor block. Very good customer service! All is back to normal now.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found 1 of my gyres was the culprit. I emailed coral view and the find not hesitate to send me a new motor block. Very good customer service! All is back to normal now.
Great! Glad it worked out for you!

Back