Growing crabs for eels???

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cassian
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2018
Messages
2,389
Reaction score
1,710
Location
MO
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so here’s an interesting thought and how it came about:

A few days ago, I put an emerald crab in my tank hoping to get rid of bubble algae. It was a fairly large one and it was cheap, so I said I would give it a go. Well, 5 mins goes by and here comes my moray eel. As you can imagine the crab became a snack. It got me thinking though, has any one tried growing some type of crab, like fiddler, in their tank or a separate tank as food for their eels? I feel like it would be really healthy for them and fun for them to hunt. I know my eel had a good time. Lol

Any thoughts on this? I’m thinking of doing it for my eel.
 
Fiddler crabs are a great addition to a pebble toothed moray's diet, you know me, I love feeding live. The stimulation would also be great, but be prepared for a more active maybe even aggressive eel, make sure nothing else in the tank could become a snack. It is a great idea. I think you can get a bunch of little fiddlers for cheap, and a crab tank can actually be fun.
 
Fiddler crabs are a great addition to a pebble toothed moray's diet, you know me, I love feeding live. The stimulation would also be great, but be prepared for a more active maybe even aggressive eel, make sure nothing else in the tank could become a snack. It is a great idea. I think you can get a bunch of little fiddlers for cheap, and a crab tank can actually be fun.


Interesting about the increased aggressiveness, but it is understandable. Have you ever experienced this first hand? I don’t really care if she eats my crustaceans, but I can’t have her eating my clowns. However, a pebble tooth shouldn’t be able to grab fish, but if she’s aggressive and hungry....
 
It will get them stimulated in way to put them in their natural hunting response. I have seen pebble tooths eat fish, but usually a large eel fresh from the ocean with smaller fish prey. Also during an introduction to the tank. It's a really tough call, although it wouldn't be likely, it could happen. In theory, clowns would be easy pickings. It's probably not the best idea to keep a predatory fish in hunting mode in a community tank.
 
It will get them stimulated in way to put them in their natural hunting response. I have seen pebble tooths eat fish, but usually a large eel fresh from the ocean with smaller fish prey. Also during an introduction to the tank. It's a really tough call, although it wouldn't be likely, it could happen. In theory, clowns would be easy pickings. It's probably not the best idea to keep a predatory fish in hunting mode in a community tank.


Hmmm, noted. Lol. My eel is still small, but I agree with what you are saying 100%. Probably best not to “activate” the hunting mode in my community reef tank. Might have a lot of expensive snacks for my eel. :D
 
Fiddler crabs are great food and I can collect as many as I want, but you can't raise them at home and they need quite a bit of room to be kept in a tank as the males will fight.
You can see thousands here where I collect.

 
Fiddler crabs are great food and I can collect as many as I want, but you can't raise them at home and they need quite a bit of room to be kept in a tank as the males will fight.
You can see thousands here where I collect.




Nice! Thanks for the info!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new