Growing macro algae

bgilson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have an in tank refugium thats holding different macroalgaes. Its in my soon to be seahorse tank. But I also have a reef tank. I want to know can I grow the macroalgae in the seahorse tank? Once it starts to fill up the refugium I would trim and put in my reef tank. So if I can grow it what do i need to do? Tia.

EE648198-E6B1-4222-B35F-40F7110756D4.jpeg

Ichtha_yo Stuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro in a seahorse tank is quite common and a good idea for several reasons. It provides a hitching post for the seahorses, it absorbs nutrients, seahorse's product a good amount of waste. Years ago, I had a very successful seahorse tank the consisted of live rock and Caulerpa racemosa. My seahorses thrived and my water parameters were on point. When you harvest the macro, you can feed to your reef tank provided you have algae eaters. I would caution putting some macros in a reef tank unless you have animals that will eat the macro, or you are trying to go for a macro reef tank. Caulerpa prolifera, and racemosa are two that I can think of that if you get in your tank are difficult to get out and people regret putting them in their reef tanks.

OP
OP
bgilson

bgilson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro in a seahorse tank is quite common and a good idea for several reasons. It provides a hitching post for the seahorses, it absorbs nutrients, seahorse's product a good amount of waste. Years ago, I had a very successful seahorse tank the consisted of live rock and Caulerpa racemosa. My seahorses thrived and my water parameters were on point. When you harvest the macro, you can feed to your reef tank provided you have algae eaters. I would caution putting some macros in a reef tank unless you have animals that will eat the macro, or you are trying to go for a macro reef tank. Caulerpa prolifera, and racemosa are two that I can think of that if you get in your tank are difficult to get out and people regret putting them in their reef tanks.
Thanks. I do have fish that will eat the macro. But im still confused on exactly what I need to get it to grow in the seahorse tank so I can use the growth in the reef tank for the fish.

Ichtha_yo Stuff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what macro's you are looking to grow. Some are easy like cheato, and caulpera which only require some basic lighting. The more intense the light the faster they will grow. If your looking to grow some more specialized algae then check out this guide from Gulf Coast Ecosystems. https://www.marineplantbook.com/

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a seahorse tank that is feed heavy where nutrient export is a priority, consider fast growing Caulerpa Paspoides. It also maes good hitching post for your ponies.

C. Paspaloides features palm shaped fronds that extend upward in clusters to form a symmetrical tip. Fast growing and very hardy in the marine aquarium. This particular species does not often pollute the aquarium as other Caulerpa do, which makes it a valuable addition for nutrient control. Under intense lighting it forms tight, dark green filaments that have a triangular appearance. Under most aquarium conditions however, the growth is much different and resembles individual feather shaped fronds with a light green appearance. A thick rhizome securely anchors the plant in mud and shallow turbulent environments. Because of its fine filaments it can accumulate sediment and diatom growth so it should be pruned from time to time. Simply pinching the rhizome and breaking off individual pieces is recommended.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back