Growing over Coral Skeletons, possible??

SteveMM62Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 21, 2020
Messages
2,639
Reaction score
1,617
Location
La Plata
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had people give me Coral over the years, the type they sell in Shell Shops. I’ve discouraged them from buying it in the future. Is there anything I can do with it? Most looks like Staghorn, wondering if I could get coral to grow over it. What types of Coral would I use? The other thing is to just take a hammer to it and make some gravel.
 
Some places coat their shells/coral skeletons with unknown shellacs or other stuff. Also, it's unknown how they are bleaching/cleaning them. Personally, I would never put any of that stuff into my tanks.
 
I have some dead coral skeletons. I was thinking... I wonder of gsp would grow over it?

Could look pretty cool
 
Dead coral is essentially live rock. Well, dead rock.
 
FYI, I agree with all of the above, I was just commenting on what the OP said about the stuff being purchased from a store.
Yes, if it's just plain-old dead coral skeleton, you shouldn't have any issues having stuff encrust it. I've had dead areas of SPS re-encrust with the same coral after nursing it back to health. I think some people even add dead coral skeletons to their calcium reactors to recycle them back into the tanks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new