Growing SPS frags in sump light ideas

  • Thread starter Thread starter Coug92
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Coug92

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 9, 2020
Messages
64
Reaction score
34
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I plan to start growing extra SPS frags in my sump. It will be a space about 9” by 12 “I used to use the space for growing chaeto but my nutrients stay too low and I can’t keep chaeto alive, just hair algae in sump. the light will need to be hung or clamped on the glass of my red de 425xl sump at a height of No higher than 10 inches. My main display is lit with 6 T5’s and 2 kessel 360x I would love some suggestions on the best no frills LED option for the sump? Maybe AI prime or Red Sea LED? Don’t mind spending money on high quality but not sure I need radions or kessel.

A82B5F0E-BBE1-4633-A16E-A8C60F15C69C.jpeg
 
$60 30w nicrew from Amazon. I would be careful about light spillage and algae growing all over your equipments....

I tried this before and after a few months of coralline and algae, I gave up.
 
Kessil or prime would be my choice. I use a prime had on my 5 gallon pico and it’s about that dimension
 
I think it will also come down to what type of SPS corals you are trying to grow. I have a WD acropora that I have grown using a Chinese LED box light.
 
Hi. I plan to start growing extra SPS frags in my sump. It will be a space about 9” by 12 “I used to use the space for growing chaeto but my nutrients stay too low and I can’t keep chaeto alive, just hair algae in sump. the light will need to be hung or clamped on the glass of my red de 425xl sump at a height of No higher than 10 inches. My main display is lit with 6 T5’s and 2 kessel 360x I would love some suggestions on the best no frills LED option for the sump? Maybe AI prime or Red Sea LED? Don’t mind spending money on high quality but not sure I need radions or kessel.

A82B5F0E-BBE1-4633-A16E-A8C60F15C69C.jpeg
Hi, how was your setup in the end? I am looking for solutions for the same tank, was the light spillage so bad?
 
Hi - The SPS grew ok. But they busance algae was too much of a hassle. You can't really have any tangs our cleaner crew and the frags get tons of hair algae on them. I wouldn't recommend it. If I do a frag tank again I will set up a separate system. That way it will be protection in the case of a tank crash.
 
I have a Viparspectra over mine. As above, algae gets horrible in the sump.
 
I have had a sump frag area for years. Lit now by an AI Hydra 26.

Some scarlet hermits, at least one Mexican turbo, and a handful of a astrea or trochus snails and it stays clean.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 14.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new