Growing white spot on clownfish

kaybobay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first photo is from 3.5 months ago when I first got this clownfish pair from LA's Divers Den. He was in my QT tank at this time where he spent 4 weeks in observation (not medicated). Second photo is from yesterday in my display tank. He otherwise seems very healthy and active, no flashing/heavy breathing and he has a great appetite. The white spot on his tail looks flush with the rest of his body, it is not raised in any way. Is it possible it's just how his markings have changed as he's grown? Just making sure I'm not overlooking anything obvious as how much it has grown does look concerning. Appreciate it!

06F3CBAA-C330-4F43-9011-C827B8123CF3_1_201_a.jpeg 2756F67E-45AD-4BAB-8216-2EE3D1C49E74_1_201_a.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is indeed odd. Luckily, it appears chronic and not acute, so you don't need to rush to treat it (which is a good thing since I have no idea what you would treat it with anyway!).

I've seen that sort of underlying pigment in certain types of ultra fancy clownfish, but this one is more of a wild clown, so I wouldn't expect that.

I do see just a smidgeon of damage to the upper edge of the caudal fin, is another clown pestering it?

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

kaybobay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's ORA captive bred, I've included their Live Aquaria listing. The markings on his other side are more irregular. Outside of the occasional spastic twitching the pair do, they get along well.

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 4.27.50 PM.png

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HaHa, like "two face" in the batman comics! Right side is wild phenotype and left side is freaky. So, yes, that underlaying color is normal for this morph.

Jay

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back