Growth and Polyp Extension

madducks42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 90 gallon tank with mostly softies and LPS, but we do have a few frags of birdsnest that we got from our local reefing club and a purple stylophora. I *think* they're all doing pretty well. I have the birdsnest scattered around the tank because I was curious about how it would do in different sections. There is one in particular that has been growing like crazy so I'm assuming that means it's happy, but I've noticed in the last few weeks that it seems like it's polyp extension isn't as good as it was before. I'm not panicking yet but I am keeping an eye on it since I don't want it to start going downhill fast and not be able to save it.

Picture from December:

Current picture:

The stylophora started to get white tips almost 2 months ago. Only the tips are white and the rest of it looks good, am I correct to assume that it's growing? I think it's gotten a little bit taller but it's honestly hard to tell. I've gone back and looked at older photos of it and it might be a little bit taller now but definitely not any major growth.

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you are correct, the white tips are the new growth. As for the GBN, in my experience they go through phases of more polyp extension and less extension, I believe mostly related to flow. I never worried about it, they are very hardy corals.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White tips are good sign, at least for purple stylo, it means its happy and growing. Whats your Alk/Ca level?
It will take some time for them to settle, once they are comfortable, they'll take off.
What are you feeding them ?

kazikage42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely. Currently only fish in the tank are two ocellaris clownfish and a watchman goby. I've never seen them or any of the CUC bother it but I suppose anything is possible.
Just maintain stable water parameters and it'll be happy and sps always take a month or 2 or more to really settle in and start growing in my experience.

OP
OP
madducks42

madducks42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White tips are good sign, at least for purple stylo, it means its happy and growing. Whats your Alk/Ca level?
It will take some time for them to settle, once they are comfortable, they'll take off.
What are you feeding them ?

Ca 420
Alk 9.2

The corals get target fed three times a week because I like to feed them : ) Currently rotating between reef roids and coral chili, I did just pick up some acropower that I was going to start using as well.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca 420
Alk 9.2

The corals get target fed three times a week because I like to feed them : ) Currently rotating between reef roids and coral chili, I did just pick up some acropower that I was going to start using as well.
You are taking awesome care :) .

OP
OP
madducks42

madducks42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! I'm going to continue doing what we've been doing and hope they continue to do well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back