Growth on Clownfish Face

dana92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please tell me what this is on my clownfish, and how I should treat her? I noticed it a little yesterday, but today it is a lot bigger than this morning. It seems to be growing at a fast pace. Thank you!

IMG_9145.jpeg
IMG_9147.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see much from the angle of the pic. Can you describe the color, texture, etc.?

OP
OP
D

dana92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see much from the angle of the pic. Can you describe the color, texture, etc.?
Yesterday it looked like a little white pimple, and today looks more like a cotton/fluffy white bump or a cyst. It’s on the left side of her face. On her cheek. I’ll try to get a better picture in a bit.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, that's what I wanted to hear. Very common on fish's face, fins. Cottony white bump is probably Lymphocystis. It's a harmless "condition" that actually a virus, similar to the human herpes virus. It will come and go throughout the fish's life. Best way to limit outbreaks is to have pristine water quality and to feed your fish a wide variety of foods that provide plenty of proteins, fats and vitamins.

A well rounded diet full of proteins and fats is a real good thing for overall fish health. Consider making your fish a "fish smoothie". It's real easy. Buy an assortment of frozen fish cubes like mysis, brine shrimp, chopped clams, etc. 5 or 6 varieties will do. Take one of each type and place into a tupperware. Place in your fridge and allow the cubes to "slump" (melt). Mix the cubes. Let the mix rest for a bit. Pour off the excess liquid or strain off the liquid. The mix will stay good in your fridge for a few days. You can also add a drop or two of vitamins like Selcon, Zoecon, etc. Your fish will love this smoothie. And you will get fat, happy fish that live long lives.

OP
OP
D

dana92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, that's what I wanted to hear. Very common on fish's face, fins. Cottony white bump is probably Lymphocystis. It's a harmless "condition" that actually a virus, similar to the human herpes virus. It will come and go throughout the fish's life. Best way to limit outbreaks is to have pristine water quality and to feed your fish a wide variety of foods that provide plenty of proteins, fats and vitamins.

A well rounded diet full of proteins and fats is a real good thing for overall fish health. Consider making your fish a "fish smoothie". It's real easy. Buy an assortment of frozen fish cubes like mysis, brine shrimp, chopped clams, etc. 5 or 6 varieties will do. Take one of each type and place into a tupperware. Place in your fridge and allow the cubes to "slump" (melt). Mix the cubes. Let the mix rest for a bit. Pour off the excess liquid or strain off the liquid. The mix will stay good in your fridge for a few days. You can also add a drop or two of vitamins like Selcon, Zoecon, etc. Your fish will love this smoothie. And you will get fat, happy fish that live long lives.
Thank you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back