Help ID the growth on my clownfish

skol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this small patch under my clownfish's mouth about a week ago thinking maybe it was an abrasion and would heal up but it seems to have just gotten bigger. This guy seems to be swimming in a more isolated area today as well which is giving me some concern, can someone with more experience help ID what this is?

IMG_4316.png
IMG_4314.png

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post some pics and a short video using white lighting. Then, answer as many things that you can from this topic.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I noticed this small patch under my clownfish's mouth about a week ago thinking maybe it was an abrasion and would heal up but it seems to have just gotten bigger. This guy seems to be swimming in a more isolated area today as well which is giving me some concern, can someone with more experience help ID what this is?

IMG_4316.png
IMG_4314.png
pics are dark to confirm but appear to be an ulcer likely stemming from or including infection from an injury or internally however will need clearer pics to fully assess and confirm

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree - I can't see it. However - remember that clowns often 'lock mouths' when sparring or breeding - and that commonly causes lesions that are usually self-limited. Please post a more detailed picture:)

OP
OP
S

skol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses, this is a 75 gallon display with a 40g breeder underneath so roughly ~100g of total volume. Ammonia/nitrite are currently zero, nitrates were at ~11 when i tested yesterday. PH is at 8.2. The tank has been up for a little over 8 weeks and this guy shares the tank with another paired clown, tomini tang, midas blenny and a juvenile snowflake eel. Uploading a video is giving me troubles so i'll do that once i can figure this site out :). When i was taking these i did notice some stringy poo though, reading some of the other posts this might indicate a parasite if i'm not mistaken??

here's a better look:

IMG_4325.png
IMG_4332.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would you be able to take an arrow and place it where you think the white ulcer is? The small swelling I'm seeing is not anything IMHO to worry about - except to follow it - and treat with antibiotics if worsening

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the responses, this is a 75 gallon display with a 40g breeder underneath so roughly ~100g of total volume. Ammonia/nitrite are currently zero, nitrates were at ~11 when i tested yesterday. PH is at 8.2. The tank has been up for a little over 8 weeks and this guy shares the tank with another paired clown, tomini tang, midas blenny and a juvenile snowflake eel. Uploading a video is giving me troubles so i'll do that once i can figure this site out :). When i was taking these i did notice some stringy poo though, reading some of the other posts this might indicate a parasite if i'm not mistaken??

here's a better look:

IMG_4325.png
IMG_4332.png
I now see the area and it appears to be excess mucus, however I am not convinced the fish has Brooklynella and it looks more to be a growth either infectious or post injury and i would recommend treating in a separate tank using Seachem Kanaplex which is absorbed by the fish and will treat internally and externally.
An option is Ruby Rally Pro but RRP will take longer to start working and address the issue

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back