Growth on scoly?

TheStrangler

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 20, 2020
Messages
253
Reaction score
204
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ahoy all. I have a fairly new button scoly that I've got elevated a couple of inches off of the sandbed just so I can observe it a little better before setting it in its spot and noticed what looks something like feeding tentacles coming from the underside of it? I was tempted to touch them to confirm they weren't rigid calcifications but thought that may hurt it if it's damaged soft tissue. Does anyone have any idea what this is?

20230222_121106.jpg 20230222_121238.jpg
 
Ahoy all. I have a fairly new button scoly that I've got elevated a couple of inches off of the sandbed just so I can observe it a little better before setting it in its spot and noticed what looks something like feeding tentacles coming from the underside of it? I was tempted to touch them to confirm they weren't rigid calcifications but thought that may hurt it if it's damaged soft tissue. Does anyone have any idea what this is?

20230222_121106.jpg 20230222_121238.jpg
Sponges - harmless filter feeders.
 
Thanks, happy to hear that. I didnt notice them until the scoly retracted for a little while when I annoyed it with a water change. Will they pose any issue with the skeleton they're in contact with?
 
Thanks, happy to hear that. I didnt notice them until the scoly retracted for a little while when I annoyed it with a water change. Will they pose any issue with the skeleton they're in contact with?
They shouldn't pose an issue in any way.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new