Growth spurt or lack thereof

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some acros (TSA Bill Murray/Fruity Pebbles, ORA Voodoo/Blue Iris, etc) that have grown from frags to colony-size under a year. However, I have some deadbeat ones (RR Pink Floyd/Wolverine, JF Tierra del Fuego, etc) that encrusted but remained as a frag for 1.5+ YEARS!

I’ve moved the Pink Floyd yesterday for different lighting / flow. What is your secret to kickstart these deadbeats ? It’s been frustrating!$&@

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did that also - I’ve nipped the top and it grew back JUST that area in 3-6mos! lol
My experience with Acros are just that.. the bigger the frag the faster it grows.. some take off quick and some just encrust slowly for a year then shoot off like my Asd rainbow Millie.. got this thing about 8 months ago and it barely did anything then it took off like a month ago.
IMG_8176.png
IMG_2099.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great growth!

I lose patience after a year mark but after 1.5yrs, I’m gonna to move to another location or tank! Perhaps the latter one makes sense — they simply just don’t like this tank?

Everything else is growing well though.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ex
Great growth!

I lose patience after a year mark but after 1.5yrs, I’m gonna to move to another location or tank! Perhaps the latter one makes sense — they simply just don’t like this tank?

Everything else is growing well though.
As an example, I’ve fragged this ORA Blue Voodoo 5+ times already (each time at least 5” long) yet it’s still growing like mad! I see new blue tips every week!

The Pink Floyd has been like this for 1.5yrs! He’s in a different area with more flow but similar PAR light though.

Attachments

• IMG_7154.jpeg
    IMG_7154.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7155.jpeg
    IMG_7155.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 44

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stags are always super fast growers for me at least anyways… do you do frequent water changes? I’ve noticed that helps a lot unless you play the icp game and dose tons of elements which seems crazy to me lol..

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens to everybody with a frag or two. If it is more than just one or two, then you might want to slowly tweak some things.

If your setup has fringe type of anything, then maybe move back to the center? If you are low-light and heavy blue, then more daylight and more output. If you keep your no3 and po4 elevated, then lower them to levels where any acro likes them. Temp at 80 then try 77 or 78. ...stuff like this.

It is false, IMO, that all acros like the same things, but ocean type of parameters work for larger subset of acropora, including the tricky ones. Just because one acro thrives does not mean that all of them will at the same parameters.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Current all 20+ acros are growing, except 4. Indeed, stags grow very fast, including those smooth skins acros.

WC: I’m going into 38 months w/o a water change! I just dose using a CaRx and just plain fish poop. I don’t dose any other trace elements. Maybe I should?!$&

Nutrients: running elevated: 27 NO3, 0.22 PO4. I feed 6 hungry tangs with a sheet of nori every other day. I also feed pellets.

Temp: mine is around 79-80. I have not tried to run lower at 77.

I’ve been trying to keep things as stable as possible but perhaps slowly change a few parameters will yield better results?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, my Pink Floyd hasn't grown at all in over a year either lol. As stated happens to everyone. Those frags probably just don't like something in that specific tank. Can't make them all happy :)

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, my Pink Floyd hasn't grown at all in over a year either lol. As stated happens to everyone. Those frags probably just don't like something in that specific tank. Can't make them all happy :)
Glad I’m not alone! lol I’m gonna try two things before adjust the whole tank for the benefit of a few. I’ve moved it for different flow pattern / higher light. If that doesn’t work, I’ll move it to my nem / mixed tank!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I’m not alone! lol I’m gonna try two things before adjust the whole tank for the benefit of a few. I’ve moved it for different flow pattern / higher light. If that doesn’t work, I’ll move it to my nem / mixed tank!
I have just learned to accept the ones that don't grow. They end up sitting stagnant until the surrounding acros grow around and over top of them, finally putting them out of their misery lol. I have roughly 40 different acro colonies in my tank, and the Pink Floyd is one of about 3 that don't grow.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, there is little doubt that paramaters more like the ocean, along with heavy feeding, will make the most corals really happy. However, it might not be worth it to you.

I would change some water, though. It is cheap and easy. You can change a whole bunch for what one single ICP test costs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back