Growth?

stevem650

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have new growth coming up from the base of the coral. Should the new growth be the same color? IMG_2936.JPG

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, frequently it will look very different, since there's little chance that your tank conditions will be identical to those of the tank that the frag was grown in. This of course is something that none of the big sellers with their gorgeous hyper-saturated blue light macro frag photos will tell you; that your eventually grown out coral may look nothing like what you expect.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New growth is usually a little more brighter and sometimes a different color than the rest of the coral. As it grows out the branch should should start to look like the main body color but the growth tips will usually look how you are experiencing.

OP
OP
S

stevem650

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know the name? The Frag has been in place for 6 months & has now decided to grow.

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know the name? The Frag has been in place for 6 months & has now decided to grow.

No clue of the name but i agree with the above that new growth is brighter you can usually see this on the edges of many coral

4-6 months is usually the time it takes to get comfortable and start growing some “easier” sps grow faster

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most new growth has whit(er) tips and lighter colors. It takes a while for the zoox to populate in full numbers after the new skeleton is grown. Eventually, it will darken and/or become like the rest of the colony.

If you ever had a colony or frag "go green" or "go brown" then sometimes the new growth is the only part that will look "normal" and the old part will just stay green or brown. If the frag/colony is growing, it will quickly cover up the darker area.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back