Grubes gorgonian ?

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I’m posting this in the right place but I have a grubes gorgonian that has yet to open up in my system. I purchased it earlier this week and placed it in my tank on Wednesday. It’s on the top of my rock work in high flow as per the stores instructions yet it still hasn’t opened. I have a 120 gallon tank with dual gyre 330’s running on opposite ends.

I also have a bottle brush gorgonian and a purple frilly gorgonian that are both doing great. Nothing else seems to be off in my tank. I did dip the gorgonian when it arrived briefly in some revive as I do with all corals. I checked alkalinity and phosphates today done those are the only parameters that go off in my tank. Alk was 7.8 and phosphates are at .11 on hanna checkers. I run my tank at 1.026 salinity. I haven’t moved the gorg from that spot because I’ve read that could cause it to stay closed. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I’ve added some pictures to show placement. I have noticed some slimy stuff coming off of it. Not sure if it’s shedding or dying?!?

1DD73E6C-CA72-4420-95BE-86E6AA711682.jpeg D93A6EA8-4A8B-4620-A7AD-39D645EE2678.jpeg 973BE64B-F9C0-4E2B-BE5E-19183905549D.jpeg

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Grubes looked the same for the first couple of weeks in my tank! Was positive it was dead. But nope, found its' comfort zone and it's now 10 x its' original size.
I did start mine out on the sandbed though so it got acclimated but now it's at the top of the tank in high light and flow.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Grubes looked the same for the first couple of weeks in my tank! Was positive it was dead. But nope, found its' comfort zone and it's now 10 x its' original size.
I did start mine out on the sandbed though so it got acclimated but now it's at the top of the tank in high light and flow.
Wow… ok good I’m hopeful. I figured since the other gorgs are doing great it was odd this one isn’t. Yeah as per instructions from the vendor, I placed in high flow which is on top of my rock work. It does get around 250-300 par which I didn’t think would be an issues. My corky gorgonian gets blasted with par and it opened up in an hour.

Upvote 0

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took a few days to open, and is now gigantic compared to the little stick I started with. They do like strong light compared to other gorgonIan’s.

Edit- Just saw your last post with par readings. It sounds like it’s in a good spot, so just give it some more time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took a few days to open, and is now gigantic compared to the little stick I started with. They do like strong light compared to other gorgonIan’s.

Edit- Just saw your last post with par readings. It sounds like it’s in a good spot, so just give it some more time.
Great, thank you for the replies. I was about to try moving it. I’ll leave it alone. It’s been three days like this so far.

Upvote 0

ewanho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run mostly blue light 12 hrs a day (80% AI prime hd) with an hour a day with some white light (40%). Is that enough for this gorgonian?

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back