Grumpy Clam

PocketClam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, second thread visible on the first page... sorry about that, wish I could simply edit the title and bump it. I've had this maxima for about half a year and in that time it has had one or two days where it refused to open up for seemingly no reason at all, even when it was the SOLE inhabitant of the tank.

Fast-forward to the present and the clam has had three of these incidents within the last month, closing up one day each of the last two weeks. And I'm getting concerned.

There are no signs of bleaching or browning, no signs of predation; ie. no bite marks, no pyramid snails, no bristleworms at all in the tank, we have some copeopods but I've not seen any amphiopods. It also isn't totally-closed and instead simply keeps its' shell mostly shut with bits of the mantle covering its' scutes (but showing all the pearly new shiny-growth on the far-edges) while it slowly expands back out throughout the day.
(and the clam has exhibited this behavior before any tank mates were introduced, plus from what I've read sheltering the clam would cause it to open back up within a few hours if it were being harassed - I made an egg-crate cage for it and it still didn't open until 8 hours later after I had given-up on and removed the cage *granted I was messing with rockwork at the time but this was at least 5-6 hours later*)

There is a single coral which may produce irritating mucus, a "pretty-pink" chalice, which is now (and has been) downstream from it.

The last time it closed up I noticed that it coughed up a fair bit of very thick mucus before slowly opening back up over the next few hours, this could have been a coincidence as I was forced to kick up a bunch of silt re-making my scape as, the potential irritant for this episode, a nerite snail decided to attempt a cross-mantle trip at night and was promptly flung across the tank as the clam slammed shut hard enough to make a ripple at the surface and totally knock-over the pile of rockwork it was on.

The only other things which may have changed:
I broke a new-growth scute about a month ago by dropping tweezers onto it
There is now a juvenile spinger's damselfish in the tank but it stays in the rockwork and is well-fed, that said I've seen him poke at the shell of the clam - eat its' waste - and also poke at pods or algae on the mantle itself (without the clam even flinching I'll add). On top of this the clam shuts tight late *AT NIGHT* (10-11PM) and then doesn't open the next morning, instead slowly displaying as if nothing was wrong the next morning.
I upgraded from a Normal AI Prime running a high-par custom setting to a Prime-HD running a 5-hr peak AB+ with heavy PM blues but much lower PAR for pop. (acclimated over 3-weeks using the built-in feature)
Added a clean up crew-supplementation from ReefCleaners, about half a dozen dwarf ceriths and a money-cowrie, all are accounted for and staying away from the clam, all were scraped with a toothbrush and dilute H202 before being added to the tank.

Water parameters are all perfect as best I can measure:
9-10 dkh (I kept this at 11 for most of the tank's lifespan but have lowered it during water changes to avoid swings about a month and a half ago)
Nitrate <5 ppm
Phos undetectable
Calcium 400-420
Ph 8.1-8.3

I know there's likely SOMETHING wrong, but I have absolutely no idea what, I'm totally-stumped.
Right now the only things I can think to do are remove the damsel despite being almost positive the fish has nothing to do with this behavior, freshwater dip, monitor nighttime PH, Cal, and Alk for evening mystery swings and try to buffer against them.

Thank you for your time, I can get some pictures uploaded tomorrow if it open back up, otherwise it's a closed clam with a colored-up and pristine looking mantle or an open-clam with a colored-up and pristine looking mantle... Nothing out of the ordinary...

Last edited:
OP
OP
PocketClam

PocketClam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have been more clear sorry when I get wordy somehow I become less-descriptive, the clam closes at night and then stays shut for nearly- 24 hours, it has almost doubled in size since we bought it and has already regrown the scute I broke just a while back.
I don't see how it could be temperature as I would expect corals in the tank to suffer as well, on top of that the ambient room temperature never goes above 76 during the day ( I have stylo, euphyllia, chalice, blastos...)

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert. I know clams like a certain amount of light. The change in lighting may have irritated him. I have a durasa clam that has been happy as a clam for months. Suddenly, for no apparent reason he started closing up almost constantly. He showed no new growth for weeks, and I was afraid he was going to die. Last week I moved him to a different spot on the sand bed. Since then, he seems to be doing much better. The weird thing is that he probably gets about the same amount of flow and light.

OP
OP
PocketClam

PocketClam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are two of the most recent shots alongside one tonight after it started opening back up.

IMG_20190601_125507_46.jpg

IMG_20190603_153237_84.jpg

IMG_20190608_202527_32.jpg

OP
OP
PocketClam

PocketClam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has been running for a year and a half? Looks awful pristine for a year and a half.
You misread, "half a year" give or take, getting closer to 7 months now and I had no livestock for most of that apart from the clam and a few snails.

The clam is tiny, when we bought it the animal was probably sub-2", the rock does look clean as I brush it (had chrysophates) and the tank is only a bit older than half-a-year and most of that was with little-to-no-livestock (it doesn't help that I need to muck with the white-balance and wash everything-out in order to get clear shots), can't move it as it jumped into that rock during the first night in the tank and attached itself, believe it or not it can actually open fully.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You misread, "half a year" give or take, getting closer to 7 months now and I had no livestock for most of that apart from the clam and a few snails.
It said you have had this clam for a year and a half. Please explain.

OP
OP
PocketClam

PocketClam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It said you have had this clam for a year and a half. Please explain.
So, second thread visible on the first page... sorry about that, wish I could simply edit the title and bump it. "I've had this maxima for about half a year" and in that time it has had one or two days where it refused to open up for seemingly no reason at all, even when it was the SOLE inhabitant of the tank.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get it???? Tank is 7 months old. Yet you've had the clam for a year and a half? Where did you keep the clam before?

OP
OP
PocketClam

PocketClam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tridacna should be added to a mature tank IMO and not the sole inhabitant. Having fish in the tank is actually good.
Mature systems do fair quite a bit better, no problems until recently, even starting with a tiny dry-shipped animal, lucky so far hopefully it hasn't run out. I was also very hesitant about stocking such a small aquarium to begin with honestly and not sure if I wanted to keep it invert only, just corals and the clam.

OP
OP
PocketClam

PocketClam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get it???? Tank is 7 months old. Yet you've had the clam for a year and a half? Where did you keep the clam before?
Where are you getting the year and a half from? I just re-read the post and have no idea, the tank was cycled with ghost-feeding for two months before I added coral, then a clean-up crew, then about 6 months ago the maxima. I originally planned to stay fish-free, but decided to add the springers because they're fun little fish.

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank does look a bit too clean for 7 months (my tank started last Nov. which is also 7 months give or take). Have you seen coralline algae yet? It is challenging to keep a clam in a new reef aquarium and you’ve done a good job if your clam have doubled in size as the first inhabitants in a new tank. I would keep a close eye on parameters and test Alk at least three times a week. Keep paying close attention to any potential tank creatures that may harass the clam.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you getting the year and a half from? I just re-read the post and have no idea, the tank was cycled with ghost-feeding for two months before I added coral, then a clean-up crew, then about 6 months ago the maxima. I originally planned to stay fish-free, but decided to add the springers because they're fun little fish.
It's what you posted. Half a year is way too young for what your trying to accomplish. There is no algae no nothing on the rocks. Your tank needs to mature.

OP
OP
PocketClam

PocketClam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shy of cutting the byssal threads and potentially the foot moving it has been impossible since day one, like I said. I've actually read through essentially everything I could possibly find so far including material recommended by some tridacnid farmers in quensland whom I contacted via facebook to help ID the species, I honestly just don't have allot of hands-on experience with the animals and that counts for A TON with hobbies like this; do you have any recommendations?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back