Another new clam owner with a mantle concern

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this ORA clam up at a show this weekend. When I got it home and in the tank I noticed that part of the mantle looks like it is missing. I didn't notice it at the show, but when the clam is opening, you can see what looks like a bite-mark in the mantle as it slides along the stark white of the inside of the shell. I assumed something had nipped at the mantle before I got it, but the recent questions on here about PMD made me wonder.

The clam has a large white growth line which is why I picked this particular specimen. It seems happy otherwise and is reactive.

Sorry, the pic is a bit weird. My phone has a hard time focusing on the clam for some reason.

PXL_20240313_171430117.jpg

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a PMD expert but doesn't sound like that to me, but it does sound like a bite mark. One of my maximas had a small bite mark on it when I got it, i knew it was in a tank for a couple days with a pygmy angel before I got it, so 99% sure it was that. Small half-circle bite right from the edge, and it healed fully within a couple weeks of being in my tank (without angels haha). No scar issues or sign of it ever being there.

Your clam looks really nice, good snag!

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I snagged another pic this morning of it opening. The pic is even worse than my first one, but you can see the damage the mantle pretty clearly. (I'm going to have to start leaving my DLSR at work to take pics of this tank)

PXL_20240314_134048544.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That second picture looks terrible. The 1st picture looks OK. Other one possible bite mark but not the second picture

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That second picture looks terrible. The 1st picture looks OK. Other one possible bite mark but not the second picture
Yeah, I agree. Being my first clam I didn't notice the damage when the mantle was fully extended.

When I first put the clam in my tank I was patiently waiting to see if it would open, and it was then that I noticed the missing tissue as the mantle extended along the scutes of the shell. The damage looks the same today as it did in the pics I posted (to my inexperienced eyes at least). I'm really struggling to get a decent pic of this in my tank but here are two I took just now:

PXL_20240320_114916459.jpg
PXL_20240320_114912256.jpg

I'm hoping it is damage/injury as opposed to disease. Is there anything I can or should be doing to help it along?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damage to mantle is fine. It will heal quickly, in several weeks. The retracted picture cause me to be concern but now I know he just close and open again. That is not a problem.

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy to report that this clam is suddenly exhibiting new growth.

I was growing concerned because there was a significant white band of growth when I bought it home, but I was wasn't seeing any new growth until last week. As a clam noob, all I "Know" about keeping them is they need lots of light, good and stable water quality, and if it isn't showing growth it is starving to death. That last one leaves a bit to interpretation :)

Still working on being able to take a decent pic of this thing from the side, but here is a blurry pic that shows the new growth. It has gone from a white line so small I wasn't sure if it was really there last week to what looks like a new scute today.

PXL_20240415_171150809.jpg

I assume that is how a maxima grows, and that once this scute stabilizes it may be a few weeks before I see another one?

At any rate, I'm breathing a little easier now that I am seeing growth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back