GSM clownfish eggs hatched last night

Zoafreek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got ahold of some Gold Striped Maroon Clownfish Eggs last week (they were laid 6/13) and. Unfortunately a couple nights ago the airstone next to the eggs jerked and moved a couple inches away from the eggs, so upon waking up in the morning and checking the eggs there was something on the eggs, orange in color that reminded me of cyano. I was able to get it off, but unfortunately the majority of eggs died because of it.

Last night, it appears, the few remaining eggs that developed hatched off the rock. Only reason i know this is they are not attached to the rock. But the weird part is I don't see the hatchlings in the tank anywhere. Its a 20 gallon about 3/4 full with nothing more than an airstone, heater, and the rock with the eggs on it. Is it possible something on the piece of live rock came out and ate the hatchlings? There is a mojano anemone on the rock next to the eggs, so I don't know if that may be the culprit either.

Any thoughts/help? I can raise Kaudern's cardinalfish in my sleep, but so far just getting the clownfish eggs to hatch properly seems to be a task in itself. Not sure if its more difficult because they're GSM. Worst part is I have about 15 gallons of rotifers that I have no use for since i have no fry to feed.

JasonPG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The broodstock are better at caring for the eggs than you ever will be. They should have hatched on the 21st.

The broodstock should spawn again any day now if they haven't already. Talk to the owner, get his permission to collect the fry on hatch night. In the meantime get a copy of Joyce Wilkerson's book.

OP
OP
Z

Zoafreek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I've moved on to Pseudochromis Fridmani breeding, which is proving to be much easier. Hatchlings are on day 14 currently, about 14 more days until meta starts. It looks like i have about 2 dozen fry that are still alive and getting bigger by the day. I took the eggs out the day after they were laid with no issues (unlike the clown eggs).

I don't own the pair of GSM clowns, I was just given the rock with the eggs on it the day after they were laid. There is a trigger in the tank with the GSM clowns so unless the eggs come out pretty quick, the trigger ends up eating them all.

On the same note, my cardinalfish had babies the day after the pseudochromis laid eggs, so I have a batch of 23 cardinalfish fry I'm currently raising too. I sold the breeding pair of the cardinals the day after the male released the babies. Next goal is to work on the oblique-lined dottyback (cypho purpurascens), and also considering picking up a pair of candy basslets to work with too.

OP
OP
Z

Zoafreek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having the oblique dottys for 3 weeks, they're finally starting to show signs of courtship. Up until this point I've been fearful the male was going to kill the female. I just happened to be sitting in front of the tank with my camera yesterday as they were doing their courtship. I checked the rock for eggs, none yet but hopefully very soon!

P8110784.MP4 - YouTube

JasonPG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to hear that you are having some success!

Don't underestimate a pair of GSM clowns versus a trigger. They wouldn't be laying the nest if they couldn't defend it in the first place!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back