GSP Fragging

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quite big GSP nicely on my rock centre stage, the type whose polyps are quite long and looks like grass. My question is that I want to grow another GSP on my rear glass but of the much shorter Polyp variety. So I bought a piece yesterday medium size. The LFS said I could cut it up into smaller pieces and superglue it. He said leave the glass dirty as its something the GSP can attach. Don't try and glue the whole thing as it will fall off. So I cut it into about 7 pieces and glued them on....the glue dud not take very well and today 2 fell off so I dud scrape the glass and refused onto a cleaner surface. OK the display looks rather messy with 7 bald pieces of flesh attached to my rear glass. How long does it take for them to sprout green polyps and then eventually spread and grow.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a quite big GSP nicely on my rock centre stage, the type whose polyps are quite long and looks like grass. My question is that I want to grow another GSP on my rear glass but of the much shorter Polyp variety. So I bought a piece yesterday medium size. The LFS said I could cut it up into smaller pieces and superglue it. He said leave the glass dirty as its something the GSP can attach. Don't try and glue the whole thing as it will fall off. So I cut it into about 7 pieces and glued them on....the glue dud not take very well and today 2 fell off so I dud scrape the glass and refused onto a cleaner surface. OK the display looks rather messy with 7 bald pieces of flesh attached to my rear glass. How long does it take for them to sprout green polyps and then eventually spread and grow.
After stress - like that - it can take days (weeks) for the polyps to fully come out. Interesting - I have found polyp length varies depending on flow, lighting, etc - as compared to being 2 different varieties. It will be interesting to see how yours comes out. In any case - keep everyone informed with pictures!:)

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never glued frags to glass. I usually lean the frag against the glass and let the GSP grow onto the glass naturally.

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, when viewing the GSP in several LFS I tend see a short Polyp variety in fluorescent green and blue and other that look like grass on moorlands. Anyway now what I thought was a short variety is clearly unimpressed about being sliced to pieces. I did want to entice a piece from a nearby rock to the glass but decided on the advise of the LFS to just glue it on. I understand when grown and meged into one piece it looks awesome. My CB Dwarf angel is lost against the dark background so I thought a green backdrop would show him off better one day soon.

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After stress - like that - it can take days (weeks) for the polyps to fully come out. Interesting - I have found polyp length varies depending on flow, lighting, etc - as compared to being 2 different varieties. It will be interesting to see how yours comes out. In any case - keep everyone informed with pictures!:)

I've been wondering about this. I too have GSP that has crazy long polyps and stalks, I've never seen them that long. I bought them as a regular gsp (at the store, i don't recall them being so long)- but recently I was online and one those fancy boutique store was selling a 'long polyp' variety of GSP. I assumed it was just them trying to make their GSP more appealing by giving it an interesting name.

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wondering about this. I too have GSP that has crazy long polyps and stalks, I've never seen them that long. I bought them as a regular gsp (at the store, i don't recall them being so long)- but recently I was online and one those fancy boutique store was selling a 'long polyp' variety of GSP. I assumed it was just them trying to make their GSP more appealing by giving it an interesting name.
Ok maybe the LFS had ones not showing their full potential esp if its new stock.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back