GSP Help

Rileyf21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think it is possible for gsp to grow on the bottom of a bare tank? I want to make a carpet out of it that will grow on the bottom. Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks, Riley

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably possible, but controlling where they go is pretty much impossible. And they have a tendency to migrate upwards, towards the light, in your tank.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will do just fine on the bottom of a bare tank. Will look pretty too. Recommend you keep it an inch away from the rocks. As mentioned earlier, it grows towards the light, and will eventually (a year, maybe year and a half?) engulf all of the rockwork.

A local LFS does the same thing with Zoes on his bare bottom tank. He just trims them with a razor blade as necessary and sells the frags.

Curious if you thought of trying several types of GSP in different parts of the tank? Always been curious if they have different growth rates.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do this you will probably want a tank with minimal Rock work or at least Rock work that has simple edges and leave plenty of room for your hands to manipulate the razor later on down the line. Lol, try practicing manipulating the razor with your rock work in place before you add the GSP and see how that feels. It's similar to setting up your rock work on a taped off part of the floor just to get an idea of how it's going to look.

OP
OP
Rileyf21

Rileyf21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will do just fine on the bottom of a bare tank. Will look pretty too. Recommend you keep it an inch away from the rocks. As mentioned earlier, it grows towards the light, and will eventually (a year, maybe year and a half?) engulf all of the rockwork.

A local LFS does the same thing with Zoes on his bare bottom tank. He just trims them with a razor blade as necessary and sells the frags.

Curious if you thought of trying several types of GSP in different parts of the tank? Always been curious if they have different growth rates.
I've been thinking about that. So far at my lfs all they have is the regular green star polyps but I'm sure I can find different morphs online.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can live with a 'weird' looking tank for a bit, you could try raising your rockwork on to a pvc platform or something similar, so that the GSP can grow in and "cover" the framework

OP
OP
Rileyf21

Rileyf21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can live with a 'weird' looking tank for a bit, you could try raising your rockwork on to a pvc platform or something similar, so that the GSP can grow in and "cover" the framework
That's smart also. Didn't think about that

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely can be done. I’m working on a GSP wall so slightly different but this is about 2 months starting with the main piece on the left being about a half dollar.

278DDBA9-E0BE-4AAC-922E-94C7B8879C84.jpeg

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under the right condition, it will grow on anything that is not moving, even on corals. Trimming is necessary if you don't want it anywhere other than the area you wanted it to grow. Spare at least an inch of space all around it otherwise you will have hard time removing if it grows somewhere else. Be warned, GSP is considered a weed coral when they really take off!

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long it get enough light at the bottom it will cover your tank bottom soon, I got a rock with tiny GSP on it and now it already covered entire rock and starting move up the next rock and my back tank walls, I'm intended to let it take over tank wall and rock work along with Xenia, it just depend how fast each one can out space each other :)

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long it get enough light at the bottom it will cover your tank bottom soon, I got a rock with tiny GSP on it and now it already covered entire rock and starting move up the next rock and my back tank walls, I'm intended to let it take over tank wall and rock work along with Xenia, it just depend how fast each one can out space each other :)
Would be interested in hearing how that turns out in 6 months. [emoji3]

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not as bad as people say, it's not like it automatically hooks on and spreads like wildfire, it takes time. One of my GSP I've had for abut 2 weeks and it has attached to nothing (but that's mainly because I've been poking and proding at it and trying to figure out what place it should be in) and its not like it's unhealthy, it almost doubles it's size when it's polyps come out. If you really want some fast growth they key is to feed it

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back