Gsp not opening

mustseefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a new gsp and it was open the first day but hasn’t opened back up since. Can anyone help?

image.jpg image.jpg

KevMurrkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took like 5 days to open, give it some time and it will probably come back.

Unless your parameters are no bueno,

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just bought a new gsp and it was open the first day but hasn’t opened back up since. Can anyone help?

image.jpg image.jpg
You have diatoms in the sand which is likely covering the frag. Blow the film off it with a turkey baster and raise it off the sandbed a little where it can also receive proper flow

OP
OP
mustseefish

mustseefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have diatoms in the sand which is likely covering the frag. Blow the film off it with a turkey baster and raise it off the sandbed a little where it can also receive proper flow
Ok thank you and diatoms go away on their own? Or do I need to take action?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok thank you and diatoms go away on their own? Or do I need to take action?
Go away, generally as they appear in a tank which just completed its cycle but can also appear in an established reef tank and look ugly but in most cases are harmless and feed mainly off of silicates but also consume dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates. Tap water can contain silicates and is a good way to start a bloom if you use it to mix salt or to replace water that evaporated from the tank. The best way to prevent this is to use filtered water through an RODI unit, although you can still get diatoms when using RODI unit if the cartridge that removes silicates is expired.
Diatoms are typically harmless and can be beaten once their food source expires. If it gets ugly, consider a three day blackout. Diatoms are easily wiped from the glass with a mag float, a turkey baster or a toothbrush can access other areas of the tank. Some cleaner crew to help control it are : Cerith snails, Nerite snails and Trochus snails and also Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms.

OP
OP
mustseefish

mustseefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go away, generally as they appear in a tank which just completed its cycle but can also appear in an established reef tank and look ugly but in most cases are harmless and feed mainly off of silicates but also consume dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates. Tap water can contain silicates and is a good way to start a bloom if you use it to mix salt or to replace water that evaporated from the tank. The best way to prevent this is to use filtered water through an RODI unit, although you can still get diatoms when using RODI unit if the cartridge that removes silicates is expired.
Diatoms are typically harmless and can be beaten once their food source expires. If it gets ugly, consider a three day blackout. Diatoms are easily wiped from the glass with a mag float, a turkey baster or a toothbrush can access other areas of the tank. Some cleaner crew to help control it are : Cerith snails, Nerite snails and Trochus snails and also Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms.
Hey so update, both my gsp’s are not opening anymore. What could be the cause?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey so update, both my gsp’s are not opening anymore. What could be the cause?
Did you elevate them more into path of flow as recommended?
Can you post pic of the tank as it looks today?

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have them on your sandbed which might not be getting any flow or maybe low flow. Or they want more light.

I'd personally move them higher up and see how they react within 24 hrs.

as for diatomes. Don't try to fight it. Let it run the course. For the ugly sandbed. I just picked up nassarius snails. They make quick work getting it white again.

OP
OP
mustseefish

mustseefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you elevate them more into path of flow as recommended?
Can you post pic of the tank as it looks today?
I elevated one of them, I’m currently giving the other one a peroxide bath. Side note idk if u see in the last pic there’s some white spots taking over my montipora

Attachments

• IMG_4680.jpeg
    IMG_4680.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4681.jpeg
    IMG_4681.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4682.jpeg
    IMG_4682.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4683.jpeg
    IMG_4683.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
mustseefish

mustseefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have them on your sandbed which might not be getting any flow or maybe low flow. Or they want more light.

I'd personally move them higher up and see how they react within 24 hrs.

as for diatomes. Don't try to fight it. Let it run the course. For the ugly sandbed. I just picked up nassarius snails. They make quick work getting it white again.
One of my gsp’s were doing fine but as soon as I introduced the new one it closed up and now they both won’t open

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I elevated one of them, I’m currently giving the other one a peroxide bath. Side note idk if u see in the last pic there’s some white spots taking over my montipora
On the monti, assure not too much light-alk- low calcium - elevated phosphate and low salinity

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back