GSP on back wall: too big and blocking itself from light?

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that I know the answer, but wanted to ask the group here. I decided to attach some GSP to the rear wall of the tank back in October. It's grown more so in length for each polyp and looks great. However, it's cast a pretty big shadow over its lower half. Therefore, a few of those polyps don't get any meaningful amount of light and I think are dying off. Is this to be expected, and what would the suggestion be for a small tank like mine? Should I move this large plate to the substrate, or leave it on the wall? Attached is an older picture, but you can kind of see what I'm talking about in this one. It's crazy how much larger it's gotten since then.

20231217_172819.jpg

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that I know the answer, but wanted to ask the group here. I decided to attach some GSP to the rear wall of the tank back in October. It's grown more so in length for each polyp and looks great. However, it's cast a pretty big shadow over its lower half. Therefore, a few of those polyps don't get any meaningful amount of light and I think are dying off. Is this to be expected, and what would the suggestion be for a small tank like mine? Should I move this large plate to the substrate, or leave it on the wall? Attached is an older picture, but you can kind of see what I'm talking about in this one. It's crazy how much larger it's gotten since then.

20231217_172819.jpg
I had this happen to me with a couple of Duncan corals. I ended up just placing them in the sand bed so they got light all around and they grew big.
But if your goal is to get that Greenstar polyp to cover that back wall, you need to put it on a way flatter piece of rock on that wall it’ll spread nicer

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will grow up and to the sides. This is what happened in 4 months from a small plug :)
IMG_5283.jpeg
Insane! That looks amazing. Mine... does not grow that quickly lol. It's been 4 months for me with this GSP, and it's grown just slightly more than the picture I posted. Maybe my plate isn't flat enough like someone else said, but I feel like since it can grow on rocks, it can make a 2mm leap. Well, here's hoping! Thanks for the motivation!

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this pic you can see how big it actually is this is a 220gal 6' long tank :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
IMG_5338.jpeg
Absolutely gorgeous, what a beautiful tank! That's so nice! That green patch in that position is like the sun for that scenery haha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back