GSP puffer in reef tank with tank mates?

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I have a 170L, 100cm x 40cm x 45cm (40g) aquarium.
2 x clownfish
2 x firefish
2 x cleaner shrimp
Bunch of hermit crabs and some Anthelia coral.

There is a guy in one of the groups near me who is looking to rehome his green spotted puffer. I know they are mostly brackish, but I have read online about how they can live in Marine environments too.

My question is if I decided to take the GSP, how likely is it that he will land up killing my fish? or eat my cleaner shrimp? Are they really that aggressive?

The GSP is currently in a freshwater tank, with small fish (harlequin rasboras, neon tetras), it looks to be about 6 - 7cm now. And he says very peaceful.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing is a guarantee (to be eaten or not), but that said,

it would likely kill your shrimp
it could fight the clownfish depending on how aggressive they are
it can kill hermit crabs, but hermit crabs are "supposed" to be smart enough to hide when predators come near them

you would need to feed it relatively generously to keep it from getting aggressive due to hunger, you know how feeding is... some people under feed, some people over feed. it would be best to acclimate it to salt water, and not just drop it straight in (at least over a 24 hour time span).

if you decide to get it, GL, they are cool, my favorite fish, but there are way too many in the pet industry, so many of them die or starve once they hit the pet stores

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing is a guarantee (to be eaten or not), but that said,

it would likely kill your shrimp
it could fight the clownfish depending on how aggressive they are
it can kill hermit crabs, but hermit crabs are "supposed" to be smart enough to hide when predators come near them

you would need to feed it relatively generously to keep it from getting aggressive due to hunger, you know how feeding is... some people under feed, some people over feed. it would be best to acclimate it to salt water, and not just drop it straight in (at least over a 24 hour time span).

if you decide to get it, GL, they are cool, my favorite fish, but there are way too many in the pet industry, so many of them die or starve once they hit the pet stores
Thanks for the input. I agree in that it is sad to see how many are inadequately cared for.
I wouldn't put the little guy straight in, I would be acclimating him slowly :)

Goods points about the feeding. I didn't think of that vs aggression. I have another freshwater shrimp tank with loads of Malaysian trumpet snails, I was planning to feed him those snails a couple times a week with the standard frozen/pellet/algae foods the other fish get.

The GSP size was just confirmed at 5.5cm, and hermits range between 3 - 5 cm, with a lot of extra shells which I read online should help at least.
The cleaner shrimp would be bigger than the GSP for now. Hopefully the GSP realizes how well he is getting cleaned and decides not to eat them in the future lol.
So its just my clowns now I have to think about. They don't seem to care about the firefish, so I'm thinking they aren't too aggressive. Forgot to mention they are Amphiprion Ocellaris clowns.

The tank would likely keep this stocking level and no more, so everyone would have their own space.

Dash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 GSPs in a 120 mixed reef - they are the reason I got into saltwater and I love them. They were acclimated by a 24-hour slow drip, and have been with me 3 1/2 years now. They won’t eat pellets. Their main diet is crustaceans so a frozen mix heavy on clams is great. I feed mine well & they have zero aggression. Snails, conchs, urchins, hermits are fine but shrimps would be dinner. I wouldn’t recommend those Malaysian trumpet snails - shells are sharp & too hard.

TheGreatWave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered setting up a species tank just for the GSP.

Puffers are awesome and have enough character to fill a tank themselves.

I would say most puffers are curious and jovial, however I will caution you they do have distinct personalities. If you get the alpha male he will kill everything in your tank. They can be brutal. (Some have sexual dimorphism, not sure about this particular fish you are getting.)

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a GSP in my 250 DT. Mixed reef, acro heavy however. It is very docile but it has not grown at all in the 2 years I have had it in full salt water. I feed frozen pretty heavy too.....his gut gets huge but he never grows.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you "Dash" and "Not a spammer dude" on the feedback on the hardshells of the MTS. I did not realize they were so hard.

I think the chap who was going to rehome the puffer may have found another home, but all my research has certainly peaked my interest in puffers.....

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered setting up a species tank just for the GSP.

Puffers are awesome and have enough character to fill a tank themselves.

I would say most puffers are curious and jovial, however I will caution you they do have distinct personalities. If you get the alpha male he will kill everything in your tank. They can be brutal. (Some have sexual dimorphism, not sure about this particular fish you are getting.)
I would love that... The problem is space. I already have three tanks haha. A 750L (180G) tank, my marine one we are discussing here, and another smaller planted one. I only stay in a 600sft studio apartment on the floor of my building, so I am a little limited.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great
I have a GSP in my 250 DT. Mixed reef, acro heavy however. It is very docile but it has not grown at all in the 2 years I have had it in full salt water. I feed frozen pretty heavy too.....his gut gets huge but he never grows.
Great to hear about the chilled out personality :)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Certainly peaked my interest as well, love puffers but my tank is definitely not big enough for a standard one. I haven't done much research yet but do you feel that the increased salinity could have long term negative effects on the puffers health?

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly peaked my interest as well, love puffers but my tank is certainly not big enough for a standard one. I haven't done much research yet but do you feel that the increased salinity could have long term negative effects on the puffers health?
I would be interested to hear the opinions on this too.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested to hear the opinions on this too.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the increased salinity can actually help prolong there lives (GSP and Figure 8s in particular). But I can't for the life of me find where I read it before.

NPRW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in my FW days I had one for about a year, similar size.
Great fish very active but an absolute ******! Found he would go after every long fin it could see until left jagged, no matter the size. My poor ghost knife and multiple angels.
In hindsight I was possibly underfeeding but it was a heavily fed tank.. Helped himself to half of my school of tetras..

But yeah maybe watch he doesn't bully the Firefish. Just an observation I made on his personality.

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in my FW days I had one for about a year, similar size.
Great fish very active but an absolute ******! Found he would go after every long fin it could see until left jagged, no matter the size. My poor ghost knife and multiple angels.
In hindsight I was possibly underfeeding but it was a heavily fed tank.. Helped himself to half of my school of tetras..

But yeah maybe watch he doesn't bully the Firefish. Just an observation I made on his personality.
Thanks for the feedback. the firefish have loads of nooks and crannies and have discovered cave systems within my rock I didn't know I had (turns out the seemingly "solid" live rock is actually full of tunnels and caves. and they fit in the tiniest of holes too. They will be able to hide if need be.
The guy who is rehoming now has him a smallish tank, not more than 20gallons sadly, and as I mentioned above has been kept with a small school of harlequin rasboras and neon tetras with zero aggression. So I hope this is one of the peaceful ones.

NPRW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. the firefish have loads of nooks and crannies and have discovered cave systems within my rock I didn't know I had (turns out the seemingly "solid" live rock is actually full of tunnels and caves. and they fit in the tiniest of holes too. They will be able to hide if need be.
The guy who is rehoming now has him a smallish tank, not more than 20gallons sadly, and as I mentioned above has been kept with a small school of harlequin rasboras and neon tetras with zero aggression. So I hope this is one of the peaceful ones.

Just as I read that it kind of clicked the Firefish are no doubt better swimmers and use bolt holes, the Puffers lack some fins and maneuverability.
I think the key is sufficient feeding so they don't get peckish, something I didn't realize until too late but just my experience.

Should add I really loved the fish, big heart for one of the smaller guys in my tank. Never saw him puff but that's a good thing, right? Lol

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chap who is rehoming him just contacted me now asking if I could please take him tomorrow. His wife was very attached to him and is pretty tearful about letting him go. As has been stated in this thread, they have never had a fish with such great personality....

OP
OP
mattybecks

mattybecks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as I read that it kind of clicked the Firefish are no doubt better swimmers and use bolt holes, the Puffers lack some fins and maneuverability.
I think the key is sufficient feeding so they don't get peckish, something I didn't realize until too late but just my experience.

Should add I really loved the fish, big heart for one of the smaller guys in my tank. Never saw him puff but that's a good thing, right? Lol
Ill keep in mind about the feeding. Thanks!

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly peaked my interest as well, love puffers but my tank is definitely not big enough for a standard one. I haven't done much research yet but do you feel that the increased salinity could have long term negative effects on the puffers health?
Well here is the weird thing. Supposedly GSP adults live in saltwater. But maybe I transitioned mine too early.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 59 55.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back