Gsp sponge attached

tb582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here’s my gsp which is closed for the night but wondering what these white stringy parts are? The bottom bit used to have some on it and I attempted to remove it but I think just made it worse … I think it’s causing the gsp to not open in spots.

Thoughts?

IMG_5933.png IMG_6048.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here’s my gsp which is closed for the night but wondering what these white stringy parts are? The bottom bit used to have some on it and I attempted to remove it but I think just made it worse … I think it’s causing the gsp to not open in spots.

Thoughts?
That's definitely sponges - if it seems to be bothering the coral, then yeah, you'll want to get rid of it.

Manual removal is the best option for most sponges, but when the sponge is growing on the coral directly, removal can be tough. The below would be my best suggestion at this point, but it's not a guaranteed successful method:
I would try the scraping with a steel straw/brushing with a toothbrush and siphoning out for that one in particular - if you can do this is a bowl of saltwater out of the tank (I don't recommend adding the water to the tank after) and rinse with clean saltwater (not from the bowl) afterwards, that would be even better.
Soft toothbrush - some people might recommend using hydrogen peroxide or iodine too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back