OP
OP
Gsumner

Gsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have meeters at 4 points of 5 stage ro di system.

20190829_092845.jpg
I really like that. I have the fish tank in my office though would I still be able to run this set up or would I have to figure something else out?

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that. I have the fish tank in my office though would I still be able to run this set up or would I have to figure something else out?
I have ro/di in the laundry room at my house. That way I have source water and waiste water drain. I move the water to the DT using 1 gallon jugs. I replace 1 gallon per day. Not sure what your asking. Best investment is a ro/di system with meters.

OP
OP
Gsumner

Gsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ro/di in the laundry room at my house. That way I have source water and waiste water drain. I move the water to the DT using 1 gallon jugs. I replace 1 gallon per day. Not sure what your asking. Best investment is a ro/di system with meters.
I have an ro system in my pantry that’s hooked up. I just need to get a couple more totes to be able to mix the saltwater and all that. I would like to be able to run a hose or something from the totes and somehow get it straight to the tank. That would be awesome

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you get a tank like the one I got and on the spicket of the tank plum a valve and hose adapter. Then use a pump to move water to your aquarium. In the tank use a small powerhead to mix. And Heater. Tanks come in different sizes.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ro system in my pantry that’s hooked up. I just need to get a couple more totes to be able to mix the saltwater and all that. I would like to be able to run a hose or something from the totes and somehow get it straight to the tank. That would be awesome
Fleet farm

Screenshot_20190830-082813_Chrome.jpg

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you get a tank like the one I got and on the spicket of the tank plum a valve and hose adapter. Then use a pump to move water to your aquarium. In the tank use a small powerhead to mix. And Heater. Tanks come in different sizes.
BTY. They also make other sizes. I paid 79 for the tank. I drilled a hole in the center of the cap. I think 1 1/4 inch pipe. PVC. Attached small heater and placed two power heads, small and cheap, in the tank. Ran wires up the center of pipe and out. Used a 4 way fitting on the bottom so wires would not be pinched. I added a float to the tank, easy. So it fills and stops.

OP
OP
Gsumner

Gsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am going to have to delay getting more livestock and nems until I can get the tank to be more stable. Having real trouble with the temperature remaining consistent probably due to the fact that I bought a very cheap 300W heater from amazon. But also need to work out the kinks with the DIY overflow. It’s either not sucking enough water or it’s sucking too much. Does anyone know why that could be happening? Maybe I need to get a small pump to get some of the air out of the top of the line. Not sure but I am not wanting to spend a lot of money on livestock and nems and have them all perish due to the inability of the tank and my skills to remain a consistent habit for them.

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am going to have to delay getting more livestock and nems until I can get the tank to be more stable. Having real trouble with the temperature remaining consistent probably due to the fact that I bought a very cheap 300W heater from amazon. But also need to work out the kinks with the DIY overflow. It’s either not sucking enough water or it’s sucking too much. Does anyone know why that could be happening? Maybe I need to get a small pump to get some of the air out of the top of the line. Not sure but I am not wanting to spend a lot of money on livestock and nems and have them all perish due to the inability of the tank and my skills to remain a consistent habit for them.

Cheap heater is definitely to blame for the fluctuations. The thermometer built in to the heater can drastically vary in quality. BRS has a great video on heaters thus why I always suggest the Cobalt Neo-Therm. I have also had great luck with Eheim Jagar Heaters - they are much more affordable.

The overflow performance variations are most likely caused by the power head causing differences in the amount of water entering the weir on your overflow. You may need to move it so you are NOT pushing water directly into it. This should keep the amount of water entering the weir more consistent thus creating more consistent amounts of water being syphoned down the drain plumbing.

In addition, we did a poor job on the overflow plumbing design. Do research on Durso overflow plumbing design and that will help you understand how you can easily cut off the drain section that you have today and improve how air is drawn in since you only have a single drain.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back