Guidance with my new/used sump water levels

Tony414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All! This is my first post on R2R :) Looking for some guidance with my new/used sump. Pictures posted. This is my first time with a sump and don't have much experience. I have a Skimz sump and a 38 gallon bow tank with a HOB overflow box. Here's my question(s).
Where should the water level be where the return pump is located? High or lower? And what needs to be done to adjust it? As of now the water level is equal on both sides.
Any help would be great and thank you so much!

Sump1.jpg Sump2.jpg Overflow2.jpg Overflow1.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With respect to the sump, you don't want it higher than the top of the holder for the blue sponge in the first image. About an inch or so higher than where you've drawn the red line in that chamber. Basically add more water to that chamber until you reach the desired level.

OP
OP
Tony414

Tony414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With respect to the sump, you don't want it higher than the top of the holder for the blue sponge in the first image. About an inch or so higher than where you've drawn the red line in that chamber. Basically add more water to that chamber until you reach the desired level.
Thank you for the reply and confirming that I need it to be lower. Currently both sides are at the same level. This leads me to the question as to why is it so high and how do I get it lower to the inch or so you mentioned? Is it increasing my pump speed? Do I need to make a change with the overflow? This is where I am lost.

Thank you again!!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply and confirming that I need it to be lower. Currently both sides are at the same level. This leads me to the question as to why is it so high and how do I get it lower to the inch or so you mentioned? Is it increasing my pump speed? Do I need to make a change with the overflow? This is where I am lost.

Thank you again!!
You will probably just need to remove some water -or- increase your pump speed (best guess from just what I can see).

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chamber on the left will always drain to the level of the slot by the blue sponges.
The water should then flow through the sponge and only be allowed to overflow the sponge box in the event of a blockage.
As @blaxsun said, the return chamber level should be just below the sponge box. No higher and ideally no lower as reducing your total volume is reducing your safety net unnecessarily.
Do you have an Auto Top Off? The sensor will typically be in the return chamber and this will dictate the level. The other way to think of this is that the sensor should be positioned where you want to level to be.
I assume that you're happy with your pump speed/turnover so you probably need to remove some water to reduce the level that you are currently at.

OP
OP
Tony414

Tony414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chamber on the left will always drain to the level of the slot by the blue sponges.
The water should then flow through the sponge and only be allowed to overflow the sponge box in the event of a blockage.
As @blaxsun said, the return chamber level should be just below the sponge box. No higher and ideally no lower as reducing your total volume is reducing your safety net unnecessarily.
Do you have an Auto Top Off? The sensor will typically be in the return chamber and this will dictate the level. The other way to think of this is that the sensor should be positioned where you want to level to be.
I assume that you're happy with your pump speed/turnover so you probably need to remove some water to reduce the level that you are currently at.
Hi There! Thank you also for the help. No on the ATO but that might be my next purchase :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back