Guide: Telemetry server

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have node exporter running on the pi?

Last question and then I'll make a different post so I'm not just using this one... So I need to install node export on to the reefpi? I thought it was on the device I'm using for the server

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TO be honest... I dont remember, I had it setup on my redsea when it was up and running before it blew a seam leak. Took it down. Got me 280 up and running and redid the reef-pi and have been meaning to get the grafana back up and running but Its is going to be a min. before that happens. Going from memory which is faulting I thought the node exporter had to be running on the pi.

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TO be honest... I dont remember, I had it setup on my redsea when it was up and running before it blew a seam leak. Took it down. Got me 280 up and running and redid the reef-pi and have been meaning to get the grafana back up and running but Its is going to be a min. before that happens. Going from memory which is faulting I thought the node exporter had to be running on the pi.
just found a post where Ranjib states that he has

"
prometheus is the central time series database, and installed separately on x86 machine (preferably). I use a mini pc to run prometheus+grafana. Only node-exporter is installed on pi which provides all those tcp stats through an http end point. The central prometheus server is configured to scrape the data from node exporter (from on or many pi's). This is the same mechanism used to for reef-pi integration (reef-pi exposed all metrics under an endpoint, which prometheus central server then scrapes) . Grafana can be installed in another machine, but i colocate on the same mini pc as the promethues, and configured to talk to the prometheus server as data source. Grafana provides the visualization of those time series data.
This stack is very similar to a large web company (cough cough)....that is retrofitted to work on home setup :) . Its bit complex, but its as (if not more than paid solutions) advance and powerful mertics/telemetry stack as you can get (through FOSS)."

Now I didn't read the whole conversation so there might be some information I might be missing. but I believe you are on to something.

bubblybubbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may have been answered somewhere and I just can't find it, but as a noob to all of this, how does one go about connecting the sensors to a mini pc like the one posted in the first post? Don't I need an external board that connects, I'm assuming, via ethernet or such?
Again, noob, lol

Thanks!

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may have been answered somewhere and I just can't find it, but as a noob to all of this, how does one go about connecting the sensors to a mini pc like the one posted in the first post? Don't I need an external board that connects, I'm assuming, via ethernet or such?
Again, noob, lol

Thanks!
The Mini PC is typically used to run the logging and graphing server using Prometheus and Grafana.
As far as I know:

The sensors always have to be connected to either:
- a Raspberry Pi running ReefPi
- an ESP32 over WiFi that can be reached from the Linux MiniPC running the Linux Version of ReefPi.

bubblybubbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mini PC is typically used to run the logging and graphing server using Prometheus and Grafana.
As far as I know:

The sensors always have to be connected to either:
- a Raspberry Pi running ReefPi
- an ESP32 over WiFi that can be reached from the Linux MiniPC running the Linux Version of ReefPi.
Ah, I think I've got it now.
So the pi still runs reefpi as normal, but the telemetry data is sent to the mini pc and is able to be displayed and accessed faster than if the pi was handling it by itself. Essentially, the pi is the middleman.
Thank you for the response!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back