Gulf live rock?

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Admins sorry didn't know where to put this so I just stuck it here. Anyone order from Gulf Live Rock recently, really wanting to try it out as I can get my rock and sand all from one place for my biotope. Good or bad? Let me know before I put in my order

OP
OP
MinnReef

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some last month, super pleased
What did you get and how far did it ship? What time did the package show up too? just trying to figure out logistics on when I would be home to get it all figured out

abuch010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you get and how far did it ship? What time did the package show up too? just trying to figure out logistics on when I would be home to get it all figured out

I got 10lbs of the Deco rock, I’m up by DC they shipped it via Fedex Monday and I received it Wednesday afternoon

fisher99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 10lbs of the Deco rock, I’m up by DC they shipped it via Fedex Monday and I received it Wednesday afternoon
I just started a 125 with Tampa Bay Saltwater rock and sand and couldn,t be happier.
No real cycle and full of life.
It's shipped in water so there is no dieoff.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Admins sorry didn't know where to put this so I just stuck it here. Anyone order from Gulf Live Rock recently, really wanting to try it out as I can get my rock and sand all from one place for my biotope. Good or bad? Let me know before I put in my order

Our LFS drives down there every so often and loads up on their rock it is fantastic:
The amount of sponges, corals and macro algae.
The pictures on their site is exactly how it looks. Their deco rock each piece is like a mini coral reef.

If you do not want al the macro algae buy their coralline base rock.

1604670418320.png

OP
OP
MinnReef

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our LFS drives down there every so often and loads up on their rock it is fantastic:
The amount of sponges, corals and macro algae.
The pictures on their site is exactly how it looks. Their deco rock each piece is like a mini coral reef.

If you do not want al the macro algae buy their coralline base rock.

1604670418320.png
Only problem is I setup my tank and it was already cycled so I'd have to do it again. The closest cargo airport in 2 hours away from me too so it would have to be wrapped in towels

abuch010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem is I setup my tank and it was already cycled so I'd have to do it again. The closest cargo airport in 2 hours away from me too so it would have to be wrapped in towels

I was in the same boat, I had started my tank with all dry rock and wasn't liking my results/lack of biodiversity. When I got my rock I threw it in a 10 gallon with a heater and a powerhead, and the die off ammonia was gone within three days. It also gave me a chance to observe the rock for any harmful hitchhikers before I added it to my display.

Edit: I added some pictures of it in this thread, still finding cool new things on it every day https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/gulf-live-rock-hitchhiker-id.770451/#post-8130793

Last edited:
OP
OP
MinnReef

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same boat, I had started my tank with all dry rock and wasn't liking my results/lack of biodiversity. When I got my rock I threw it in a 10 gallon with a heater and a powerhead, and the die off ammonia was gone within three days. It also gave me a chance to observe the rock for any harmful hitchhikers before I added it to my display.

Edit: I added some pictures of it in this thread, still finding cool new things on it every day https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/gulf-live-rock-hitchhiker-id.770451/#post-8130793
I wonder if I could do that same thing but with a 5 gallon bucket or maybe a tote? Maybe I'll just do the rock and not the sand and the rock

OP
OP
MinnReef

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a lot of people have had bad experiences with Gulf Live Rock after researching more

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People saying the rock is bad or all dead

Mostly all the same: TBS, salty bottom, Gulf LR
Theres a provider in the Keys that I can't recall.

The dead stuff can be from any one really, depends on your temp and transit time.
First impressions can be blah as well. I drove to Salty Bottoms and hand picked my own LR. Most pieces didn't really looks like much, I was expecting fully purple coraline covered rock. This wasn't the case and most rocks looked "dead". They're not, there are still things I am finding 6+ months later.

I would order before it gets too cold up North where you are and opt for faster/quicker shipping.

OP
OP
MinnReef

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will order today and hopefully get it shipped out monday or tueday

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder if I could do that same thing but with a 5 gallon bucket or maybe a tote? Maybe I'll just do the rock and not the sand and the rock

I have used totes before..

Aquariums are best though because they make it much easier to see hitchhiker's.
I have used this rock many times and I have only gotten one green mantis. Never got any crabs which I have always thought was weird. I have got lots of urchins off their rock.

OP
OP
MinnReef

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used totes before..

Aquariums are best though because they make it much easier to see hitchhiker's.
I have used this rock many times and I have only gotten one green mantis. Never got any crabs which I have always thought was weird. I have got lots of urchins off their rock.
I guess I can take my dry rock and sand out and just recycle the tank...or maybe I won't even get the sand IDK

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting live rock from GulfLiveRock.com for years, most recently just 3 months ago, for the reef systems I set up. I've always been happy with it (but I gotta say sometimes it seems like they are living on island time). I ALWAYS get it shipped airfrieght so it might only be in the boxes only 18 to 24 hours (maybe less, FL to TX) by the time I get it.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ordered Gulf Live rock a few months ago. I had it cycling and I noticed lots of Aiptasia. I ended up throwing it away and ordered some from KP Aquatics. The rock I got from them had no Aiptasia that I could find.

abuch010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered Gulf Live rock a few months ago. I had it cycling and I noticed lots of Aiptasia. I ended up throwing it away and ordered some from KP Aquatics. The rock I got from them had no Aiptasia that I could find.

I ended up throwing out two pieces that had aiptasia as well. Luckily for me I only needed less than what I ordered so I just picked the good rocks. Fingers crossed I didn't miss any.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you on TCMAS? Someone is organizing a live rock group buy you might want to get in on.

Back