Gummy sand

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have a 55g reef tank with a sand substrate and have noticed that the top layer of sand has been forming sheets lately, but the oddest thing is the formation of gummy clumps of sand that hold together if I pick them out. They’re never more than an inch or so in the longest dimension.

The tank is healthy and lightly stocked. Three modestly sized fish, some zoas, a coral banded shrimp, an urchin, and a CUC of snails, Philippine turbos, and a conch.

I skim and use a canister filter that I clean out weekly during 10% WC’s. I use IO, and supplement with two-part or Kalk, depending on my mood and salinity. Params are stable: Alk 7.6; Ca 420; Mg 1480 (tad high), pH mid 8’s, Phos 0 ppb; Ammonia/Nitrite both 0; nitrate is under 5.

Thanks!

OP
OP
rmurken

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a photo (took a little while!). The lump is gummy or rubbery, and pretty firm and cohesive.

Parameters are all normal. Nitrates are undetectable on API, Phos is about 3ppb right now, but falling. It had spiked to 14. PhosGuard needed replacing. I grow a normal amount of algae, so there are some nutrients—but overall the water looks like it’s in good shape.

055A4C53-0CF5-4130-B0AC-1624008C6F40.jpeg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of different critters will use substrate and thier mucus to build homes i wouldnt be concerened. Most likely a spaghetti worm gathering and feeding.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back