Gut loading rosey red minnows

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can gut load ghost shrimp with marine food,can you do the same with rosey red minnows for lionfish? And can they be kept together?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can gut load ghost shrimp with marine food,can you do the same with rosey red minnows for lionfish? And can they be kept together?
You can, but you don't want to use minnows as feeders - Guppies, Mollies, and Ghost/Grass Shrimp are recommended because they're brackish water critters and have a much better nutritional profile for saltwater predators. Also, it's likely not a good idea to keep predators their live feeders - the predator experts suggest that feeding them too frequently can cause serious health problems that lead to the predators dying fairly quickly (a "fast/gorge" feeding schedule is recommended).

My post in the thread linked below is a lot of info to take in, but it's packed with good info on keeping and feeding predators, but if you're not up for reading all of it, I'd strongly suggest at least reading lion king's links in the quote below:
Here's 3 of my most comprehensive threads on feeding lionfish and other predators.

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can, but you don't want to use minnows as feeders - Guppies, Mollies, and Ghost/Grass Shrimp are recommended because they're brackish water critters and have a much better nutritional profile for saltwater predators. Also, it's likely not a good idea to keep predators their live feeders - the predator experts suggest that feeding them too frequently can cause serious health problems that lead to the predators dying fairly quickly (a "fast/gorge" feeding schedule is recommended).

My post in the thread linked below is a lot of info to take in, but it's packed with good info on keeping and feeding predators, but if you're not up for reading all of it, I'd strongly suggest at least reading lion king's links in the quote below:
The place where I buy the fish said I could do ghost shrimp as a snack ,maybe every 2 weeks or so. It's just something I wanted to try,but I'm going to do what you recommend for me to be honest. I trust your opinion.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These fish and other feeders often come with disease as they are grade b,c,d quality hence the low cost of them. A high risk to say the least

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish and other feeders often come with disease as they are grade b,c,d quality hence the low cost of them. A high risk to say the least
I understand. 1 loinfish is eating the frozen shrimp. It comes to the top of the tank before it hits the water . Which is awesome. The other viotin is not eating yet,or the dwarf. 1 dwarf us missing or hiding. I assume not dead because of no ammonia spike. I want to move some rocks but don't want to get stung. It's been a week maybe since I've seen it. As far as the others not eating, I might have to get live shrimp.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I understand. 1 loinfish is eating the frozen shrimp. It comes to the top of the tank before it hits the water . Which is awesome. The other viotin is not eating yet,or the dwarf. 1 dwarf us missing or hiding. I assume not dead because of no ammonia spike. I want to move some rocks but don't want to get stung. It's been a week maybe since I've seen it. As far as the others not eating, I might have to get live shrimp.
Assure you dont have elevated readings with ammonia and nitrate causing this as well as heavy breathing . They are susceptible ich- inspect them well.
Often IF there was an ammonia spike, it can shoot up yet settle to the point at testing time, its near undetectable.
What test kits are you using ?
As for rocks, stinging yes is a risk- Tis below will be your bset friend as well as aqua gloves.

Aquarium tongs:

1712579123733.png

Aqua Gloves ($20):

1712579179687.png

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will order the gloves now. As far as feedind tge others live for now? I use api test kit. I can go to where I buy fish and have it tested today.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may help:
Once acclimated immediately offer live ghost shrimp, or live guppies. Many times a new lion will only respond to live food, another reason for an observation tank. 9/10 a healthy lion will immediately eat live ghosties or guppies. The other 1/10 healthy lion will eat them within a very short time. If they have not responded to a live food offering with 24hrs, immediately treat with general cure or fritz paracleanse. They do come in with internal parasites frequently, and refusing food is a tell. They also come in with flukes, so watch for cloudy eyes and swimming at the surface. Prazi pro is more effective on flukes. Another reason for an observation tank.
Unfortunately, lion king hasn't posted in a while now, but to quote his posts to answer this (they basically recommend Prazi for flukes and GC for internal parasites)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are those?
PraziPro and General Cure are medications to treat parasites our fish get (flukes are a kind of parasite).

Basically, if the lionfish don't eat very soon after being added to an aquarium, there's a good chance they have parasites and need treated before they die - if they have flukes, the recommendation is to treat with PraziPro; if they don't have flukes but aren't eating, the recommendation is to treat with General Cure.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as feedind tge others live for now?
I would try the live shrimp or guppies and see if the lions that haven't been eating go for it, but I'd also suggest picking up the meds recommended just in case.

If they eat the live, then you may just need to train them to eat dead/prepared foods like you're wanting them to (I quoted Jay Hemdal's methodology for training onto prepared foods in the "2 new lionfish" link above), but if they don't, then I'd suggest treating them ASAP.

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try the live shrimp or guppies and see if the lions that haven't been eating go for it, but I'd also suggest picking up the meds recommended just in case.

If they eat the live, then you may just need to train them to eat dead/prepared foods like you're wanting them to (I quoted Jay Hemdal's methodology for training onto prepared foods in the "2 new lionfish" link above), but if they don't, then I'd suggest treating them ASAP.
Thanks. Can you send a link for the meds?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Can you send a link for the meds?

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy both or pic one? And this is for the ghost shrimp?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy both or pic one? And this is for the ghost shrimp?
If the lions don't eat the live ghost shrimp, then I would assume your lionfish are sick and need to be treated with medication (the lionfish, not the shrimp).

If your lionfish are sick and refusing to eat, it's most likely either flukes or internal parasites, and will require one of the medications above.

Flukes will generally be accompanied by other symptoms like cloudy eyes and swimming at the surface of the tank - flukes would require PraziPro to treat.

Internal parasites won't have visible symptoms like the cloudy eyes or swimming at the surface - these would require General Cure.

To treat the fish, you would make sure they're in a tank you can safely add the medication to (a lot of meds are not reef-safe and will kill inverts including corals), and you would add the medication to the water as recommended by the instructions that come with the meds.

OP
OP
K

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the lions don't eat the live ghost shrimp, then I would assume your lionfish are sick and need to be treated with medication (the lionfish, not the shrimp).

If your lionfish are sick and refusing to eat, it's most likely either flukes or internal parasites, and will require one of the medications above.

Flukes will generally be accompanied by other symptoms like cloudy eyes and swimming at the surface of the tank - flukes would require PraziPro to treat.

Internal parasites won't have visible symptoms like the cloudy eyes or swimming at the surface - these would require General Cure.

To treat the fish, you would make sure they're in a tank you can safely add the medication to (a lot of meds are not reef-safe and will kill inverts including corals), and you would add the medication to the water as recommended by the instructions that come with the meds.
It's a fish only tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back