Gyre 150 Reverse Mode

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fieryfrog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Fieryfrog

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 2, 2014
Messages
544
Reaction score
54
Location
Minneapolis MN
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the Gyre 150 for about a month now and can't seem to dial it in properly. I have a tall 125 gallon. Only 4 ft long. If I turn it up high enough to still move the water right underneath it, then it pushes too much sand, and creates a ramp of sand 3/4 of the way across the tank.

But If I turn it down, the flow doesn't properly create enough flow at the end of the tank, under the powerhead. Don't get me wrong, the Gyre is great. And I do love it. Even when I have it high enough to move the sand into a ramp, it is still only at 60%

So I have been looking into using the reverse mode. But Haven't found anyone that has used this mode to give me their thoughts. My concern is, if I have reverse mode running I only have half of the flow at a time. But with it being at only 60% now, would that be a huge deal?

Thoughts?
 
Just bought one of these two don't know much about it but heard In the alternating mode you lose half term power because only one side is working at once as the other one is in opposite ? Don't quote me on that though
 
I just got one of these and tried alternating mode. I have a 220 so I want all of the flow this thing can produce. First, switching the paddles and cages out is a real pain. Yes, you only get half of the flow in alternating mode because only one paddle is pushing water at a time. To make things worse, the paddle in reverse is going to push flow down, right at your sand, so you'll probably have to back off the power on the reverse paddle.

I ended up switch mine back to regular gyre mode so I get all of the flow possible. In your situation though, with a four footer, you probably don't need all of that flow and alternating mode might be worth exploring.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new