Gyre 2K and 4K questions

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi CoralVue!

I’ve been debating switching to IceCap 2K or 4K. The 2K minimum flow is 739 GPH and the 4K minimum is 1268 GPH.

I wasn’t sure if the minimum GPH is different (looking to see how low I can get it) if I run them of the HYDROS WaveEngine instead of the controller they come with?

Also I’m wondering if you can turn the pumps off for given periods of time? I ask this as I am thinking about mounting one on each end of my tank horizontally and one in each back corner vertically for a total of 4. However I’d like to have the Horizontal and Vertical pumps only come on at different times during the day/night.

thank you for your feedback!

MasterWinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them both in my 55 gallon tank, you can control them from your cell phone/internet. It is so much you can do with wave patterns. I have the 2k on the left side of the tank and the 4k on right. I just have them pointing at each other to meet in the middle and return back from the ground. this is an older picture but you get my drift. Plus both can be controlled with the dual controller I love them. so you could alternate with the different presets and pumps for different times.

tank.jpg

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have them both in my 55 gallon tank, you can control them from your cell phone/internet. It is so much you can do with wave patterns. I have the 2k on the left side of the tank and the 4k on right. I just have them pointing at each other to meet in the middle and return back from the ground. this is an older picture but you get my drift. Plus both can be controlled with the dual controller I love them. so you could alternate with the different presets and pumps for different times.

tank.jpg
Thank you for your reply. Is their the option to turn them off via the app?

MasterWinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes all from your computer or cell phone from anywhere but I only do it when I can actually see what the pumps are doing.

Tank2.jpg

Last edited:

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi CoralVue!

I’ve been debating switching to IceCap 2K or 4K. The 2K minimum flow is 739 GPH and the 4K minimum is 1268 GPH.

I wasn’t sure if the minimum GPH is different (looking to see how low I can get it) if I run them of the HYDROS WaveEngine instead of the controller they come with?

Also I’m wondering if you can turn the pumps off for given periods of time? I ask this as I am thinking about mounting one on each end of my tank horizontally and one in each back corner vertically for a total of 4. However I’d like to have the Horizontal and Vertical pumps only come on at different times during the day/night.

@Jeff@CoralVue do you know the minimum run percentages for the WE?
@Jeff@CoralVue do you know is if you can turn the pumps off as part of a schedule - either with the WE or with the controller the 2K or 4K comes with?

Let me check with support. These are all great questions! In the future, don't hesitate to contact our tech team directly at [email protected] so we don't keep you waiting for answers. I'll be back later today with an update!

EDIT: I thought I would update my post to say "Hi, Jeff the Marketing Guy, here!" I re-read what I wrote and thought "we don't want to keep you waiting" and "I'll be back later" were incompatible. Our support staff knows a lot more than I do about the intricacies of each product; I just happen to be the staffer that spends the most time here. I think we're planning to make a hire soon that would, among other things, offer you support right here on R2R so their answers could benefit other members looking for help.

Last edited:

Carlos@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi CoralVue!

The minimum flow is based on the pump so it does not change regardless of what controls it. The minimum flow is the intensity in which the pump can reliably slow down without stopping.

With the IceCap Dual Pump controller, you can only control the pumps as a group. Meaning that you cannot have one pump do Sine Wave while the other pump does Constant Speed. With that said, if you want the pumps to run for 4 hours one way, you can do a Square Wave with an 8-hour interval. This will have the left pump run at MAX speed for 4 hours while the right pump is running at LOW speed and then they would switch for the next 4 hours. Still, both pumps would be running on the same Square Wave.

If you want to do something where you run the left pump on Constant speed and for 4 hours and then shut it off for 4 hours while the right pump runs "Sine Wave", then you would need to use the WaveEngine.

Hope this helps!

Carlos@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jeff@CoralVue do you know is if you can turn the pumps off as part of a schedule - either with the WE or with the controller the 2K or 4K comes with?

You can do with both the WE and the IC2C. The difference is that the IC2C will treat the pumps as one entity while on the WE, you can treat them as individuals.

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can do with both the WE and the IC2C. The difference is that the IC2C will treat the pumps as one entity while on the WE, you can treat them as individuals.

Hi Carlos -thank you for your feedback! I just want to make sure I fully understand this. I’m planning on two pairs of 2K’s. So I could turn them off in pairs if using the IC2C - but if I use the WE I have more flexibility in Turing then off individual.

So if I wanted to I could have my two different pairs of 2K’s on at different times - this is exactly what I am looking to do.

As an example Pair 1 could be on for 4 hours then turn off and Pair 2 could come on for 4 hours then both pairs could come on for 4 hours. Does this sound about right?

Carlos@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can. You can set the triggers on both IC2C controllers to be offset. That would work BUT, at that point, you are better off going with a WaveEngine that will allow you to do that much easier, or control all 4 pumps individually (something you cannot do with the IC2C) and you can also add 0-10V pumps as well as Wireless.

OP
OP
blstravler

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes you can. You can set the triggers on both IC2C controllers to be offset. That would work BUT, at that point, you are better off going with a WaveEngine that will allow you to do that much easier, or control all 4 pumps individually (something you cannot do with the IC2C) and you can also add 0-10V pumps as well as Wireless.

Thanks Carlos! I got my 4 2K’s this past weekend and just got them all set up. It couldn’t have been easier to get everything up and going. I really like the flexibility in scheduling of Triggers for different Presets. I think I’ll probably pick up the wave engine in the next month or so. Thank you again for all of the feedback!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Small screws, RsR 425 is 88 gallon I think. I would not give it a second thought.

If you need the screw for the light turn I guess you’d better hunt for it. If you’re worried about it affecting the tank .... don’t. Lost count of the number of single edge razor blades I dropped in my tank. BTW, I always put a piece of plywood over my tank when working over it .... mostly because I’m a klutz.

I actually knock a blade in my tank last week and didn’t realize it. Saw it 2 days later 1/2 in the sand. I freaked out. I was worried my goby could have cut his mouth. No more using those close to the tank for me again. ;Nailbiting

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back