Gyre 350 on a 250 advanced controller

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gyre xf250 with advanced controller and wanted to add a second xf250 pump unit.

I see these are discontinued and getting hard to find since the introduction of the 300 series.

Will the 300 series pump run on the advanced controller from the xf250?

At a $10 difference between pumps, it seems like a no brainer to get the 350.

Thanks

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it won't. They run on different technologies and I don't think the connections are the same.

Well, why discontinue the 250s if the technology is so different that the controllers aren’t backward compatible?

That’s just a really stupid business move.

Guess I’ll be picking up a 250 head, or ditching maxspect and going a different route

Stupid

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to give it to maxspect for evolving and creating new products. There are a ton of other companies who haven't made any revisions to their products in a long long time, so their users don't face the same issues.

I really like the fact that the 300 series pumps can be controlled with an app.

Recently I replaced two 230's with mp10's because I wanted to control them through my apex, the timing couldn't have been worse. Right at that same time the gyre discount popped up and really brought down the price of the used 230's.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t call screwing over a bunch of people who recently bought 250s only to find them discontinued to be ‘innovating’.

I know I’m not in it for a huge amount of money, but come on. Are bearing replacement kits still going to be available? Once one of the 250 heads break- now what? I can’t just replace it with a 350, since I’d have to replace the controller.

Phasing our the 150’s would have been a better choice, and keep the top two models going. Make the 250 heads the same price point as the 150’s. That way, You can underpower a 250 to get 150 flow levels, but you can’t put a 150 into overdrive.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not compatible. And Maxspect USA is just a branded distributor / warranty handler, they have nothing to do with product development. Any inquiries I've sent just get bounced back with a contact maxspect.com (parent in China).

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They gave everyone a heads up and that’s why a lot of people loaded up. Especially when they went on sale. I understand your frustration though. I’m debating trying out these new ones once everything grows in more.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They gave everyone a heads up and that’s why a lot of people loaded up. Especially when they went on sale. I understand your frustration though. I’m debating trying out these new ones once everything grows in more.

“Everyone”?

I sent my warranty card in the day after I purchased and never got ‘a heads up’.

The first I heard of this was a week ago. I’m on R2R every day, but I don’t expect to have to go to every vendor thread every week to check for updates or ‘**** you’s’

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Canada there was no heads up, other than our vendors un-listing all 200 series gyres and parts the same day the 300 series was put up. This was a few months ago, but other than a RB article there has been very little about the 300 series completely replacing the 200, unlike the 200 being a revision of the 100 but maintaining physical and electrical comparability.

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have one but I just saw it on here on a few threads. Then when the sale hit to blow out the old models I made sure my local club knew as some of them don’t get on here very much.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Canada there was no heads up, other than our vendors un-listing all 200 series gyres and parts the same day the 300 series was put up. This was a few months ago, but other than a RB article there has been very little about the 300 series completely replacing the 200, unlike the 200 being a revision of the 100 but maintaining physical and electrical comparability.

Exactly.

It was all suddenly ‘no more 250 heads’ and now stuck sol unless I find one in private sales.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at one for $175 right now and think I’m going to have to pull the trigger before more people realize they just got ******

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it's very poor form on the part of Maxspect. I had thought about picking up a 250 to pair with my old XF150, but that's no longer an option with any type of warranty supported sale in Canada, and from what I infer, the US now too.

Again though, the Maxspect on this forum (and facebook) is just the US distributor / marketer, not the manufacturer which is maxspect.com. Have questions about the app, ICV6, etc? It all gets bounced back to you to contact maxspect.com. I did contact maxspect.com about the flow directors, or other parts being 200 series compatible. The response was the entire unit from the controller to the gyre pump head is 100% new design and not for use with previous 200 or 100 series. I don't know if this means that things like the bushings are even on the new units, the design seems to be done along the lines of the icecap/glamorca versions now.

Davster007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this really ticked me off to i have the apex controllers for my two 230 love the the pumps but looks like when they go out i have to buy new models new controllers etc. Guess ill be moving back to Echo tech. all they had to do is keep the same plug no matter what they did to improve the motor part still just DC voltage :mad:

Back