JBJ 45 Build

Davster007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
Not my first build but first all in one. Have to say Very impressed so far. Only issues I've had is filter boxes are cheap plastic one of mine came broken. Of course Marine depot gave me credit for that. I used the CaribSea Life Rock. Which i have used before looks better at the beginning and no pests. I also used some AquaMaxx Pukani Dry Live Rock which i didnt like later you will see i removed.
Sand i used live CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink. Skimmer I'm using AquaMaxx HOB-1.5 Hang-On-Back Protein Skimmer. Pump Jecod/Jebao DCT Marine Controllable Water Pump DC controllable. Reactor Innovative Marine AUQA Gadget MiniMax All-In-One Media Reactor - MidSize. Lights im using Hydra HD 26 lights with mount. Filters I use filter floss on top then
Marinepure CERAMIC BIOMEDIA 1 1⁄2” SPHERES one box filling all the other chambers. Home made stand i made for 50.00 dollars. Controller Reefkeeper light. Cobalt 50w heater.
20170807_204153.jpg

OP
OP
Davster007

Davster007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this build has been up for almost 9 months so I'm kinda going backwards. Like some of the parts i listed are upgrades over that time. I just want to list some my experiences with some of the products. I guess I'll start with the DC pump which is much less cords then running 2 of the original pumps . These Jebao pumps are great specially for the price. Nice and quiet and of course controllable so buy with confidence. Lights now i like the Hydra lights but seems a little under powdered specially sense ill have SPS in this tank. I was getting lots of shaded growth on my SPS. Maybe a Hydra 45 would been better but i upgraded to Radion XR30 gen3 non pros which i bought here on R2R used for good price. So much better coverage and power for this size tank. Also added Gyre 150 and Jebao 40 powerheads.

20170909_192834.jpg

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2CDD0819-BA1A-4046-BB57-0C043E80F5E4.jpeg
Very nice
I like your stand
Thanks for sharing

I also have a JBJ 45 but I converted mine to have a sump
I show mine in my build as well as how I converted it. I added a side cabinet to house my apex
Here is a picture taken yesterday with yellow filters

OP
OP
Davster007

Davster007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More changes the AquaMaxx Pukani Dry Live Rock need cure time and very good cleaning. I found lots stuff growing on them worms and Vermetid Snails. So i removed them and clean the tank area up. Controller time the Reefkeeper is simple controller and did everything it was suppose to. Easy to program if you don't mind pushing keypad buttons and menus. You can program with the PC but you have to be close enough or use laptop maybe. Support is very limited. But I'll keep this for QT tank. So what did i change to of course APEX I can't say enough about all the thing you can do with this. For people think its to much well buy the lite version that's what i did. not going into details about the apex unless someone has questions. There tons information out there about the Apex. Also change the heater to the Titanium 100w and no control it from apex. The peace of mind of having a good controller is priceless.

20171008_142905.jpg

OP
OP
Davster007

Davster007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2CDD0819-BA1A-4046-BB57-0C043E80F5E4.jpeg
Very nice
I like your stand
Thanks for sharing

I also have a JBJ 45 but I converted mine to have a sump
I show mine in my build as well as how I converted it. I added a side cabinet to house my apex
Here is a picture taken yesterday with yellow filters
wow nice man i been think about the sump thing my self did you drill or use overflow?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow nice man i been think about the sump thing my self did you drill or use overflow?
I used a overflow started with a Tunze. But broke a piece of the basket and went with a CPR 90 with original plans of taking the false back out but haven’t done so

OP
OP
Davster007

Davster007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a overflow started with a Tunze. But broke a piece of the basket and went with a CPR 90 with original plans of taking the false back out but haven’t done so
Bob nice sounds like you have the same ideas as me lol. Well this not my only tank just kinda my play around tank. I have sps tank that takes most of my time. But still love this tank.

OP
OP
Davster007

Davster007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see more JBJ 45 builds. How is the Angel treating your corals. That is one more fish I want. If not a Potters. Following along
The angel is great fish personally i never had issues with any angels and there the best size for these tanks. Only thing hes can be little aggressive but add him last should be fine.

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The angel is great fish personally i never had issues with any angels and there the best size for these tanks. Only thing hes can be little aggressive but add him last should be fine.
Well I’m @ 7 Fish and if I add an angel yeah that’s the LAST FISH.
The new addition to the tank is the orange frogspawn. I have to say its probably the best looking coral i have.

I added a similar one 3 weeks ago. Can you post any pics..

OP
OP
Davster007

Davster007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been using Masstick food and i have to say they love it. Only reason i found this was for my Copper butterfly fish in my other tank. Only thing is its kinda expensive so only feed couple times a week. But man you stick it on the windows fish shrimp all go crazy thats what that spot is in the picture above where the shrimp is lol.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back