Gyre on the bottom of the tank?

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried putting a gyre on the side/bottom of their tank? My tank is bare bottom, and right now I have a gyre flowing across the top of the water, towards my overflow (like most folks would do.........I think). And I have a jebao lower on the back wall, pointed at an angle against the back wall to "push" flow down the all and out to the front. Basically to keep detritus at the front of the tank, or suspended and removed by my skimmer. An added bonus I guess, would be that there's a bit of random, or chaotic flow where the 2 currents meet throughout the tank.

I'm thinking about moving the gyre to the bottom to handle the detritus concerns and maybe simplifying the setup by removing the jebao. But the more I tihnk about it, I keep talking myself out of it. Anyone have an opinion they'd care to share?

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Just put the gyre into the gyre mode. Where it will go forward across top of tank, then reverse to blow down to bottom of tank.

OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Just put the gyre into the gyre mode. Where it will go forward across top of tank, then reverse to blow down to bottom of tank.
Yep yep, I've tried that. But the reverse mode has much less flow, so while it is better, it's not quite where I need it.

newbie2014

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
In BRSTV latest video about powerheads, they highly recommend placing them on the bottom if you have no sand. The return nozzle/s is more than enough for surface agitation.

OP
Waboss

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
In BRSTV latest video about powerheads, they highly recommend placing them on the bottom if you have no sand. The return nozzle/s is more than enough for surface agitation.
Hmm, I'll have to check that one out. But in my case, my return nozzle makes zero surface agitation as it's tied into my UV filter which hangs off the back. So it' just points straight down.

But I'll check it out. Thanks for the comment!

Corals.com

newbie2014

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I see.
On top of that, putting the gyre on the bottom also means dragging the (power supply) wire all the way down in side the tank.
That may cause an eye sore, aesthetically.

Do you have an Aquarium Equipment & Husbandry Maintenance Schedule?

• Yes equipment ad husbandry

Votes: 133 54.7%
  • Yes but equipment only

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Yes but husbandry only

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • No I currently do not

Votes: 65 26.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.2%

Online statistics

Members online