OP
OP
Ultraman

Ultraman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciated! I am needing more flow and trying the gyres seemed like a good idea based on a couple friend‘s recommendations.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciated! I am needing more flow and trying the gyres seemed like a good idea based on a couple friend‘s recommendations.
I like my Tunzes in the display, but I use Jebao Gyres in my sump and frag tank. Gyres don't work well in my cube. If I had a longer tank, I'd likely try them again.

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use two XF350s on my frag tank which is 3/4” acrylic. One very well, the other one holds okay.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I use set of xf330 and mp40s right now.

with the monthly cleaning for the gyres to prevent them working at 50%, I would not choose them again.

literally the power is cut in half in a month unless you clean them.

when I do clean them they are beautiful. I have a media cabinet for all my equipment so the wires having to take them in and out is just a pain in the a

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do aquarium maintenance for a living. Maxspect have been my favorite of the gyres. I’ve only used the XF-280 on 1.25” acrylic and been extremely happy. Seems to be fine for 5-6 months bea good citric acid soak to clean them.

Icecap is a good middle of the road brand, but unhappy they’ve shifted to all WiFi controllers. The connectivity can be a pita sometimes, but otherwise reliable. Keep some extra bushings and maybe a pair of propellers on hand as they were out of stock for several months. About same time between cleanings as Maxspect.

Least favorite is RedSea reef waves. For some reason I find they need cleanings much more frequently or they’re pretty much useless for water movement. I’ve had a few customers have them just completely crap out and there just not pushing water despite resetting and cleaning several times. I’m sure some people are happy with them, but I was disappointed and underwhelmed compared to other brands.

I haven’t used the jebao gyres but have been happy with their other powerheads for price and longevity. Not sure if they offer replacement parts (such as bushings and propellers), but that would be my only hesitation.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Icecap 4ks have really strong magnets; I bet they could handle 3/4” no problem.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back