Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

Ive got a waterbox 150.4 and im torn on power heads,

display is 110g 48x24x21.

I bought 2 octo pulse 2's they seem a little small and the magnets dont stick well, i know you can get heavy duty magnets for 70 a piece. I just ordered 2 octo pulse 4's but now im reading they are super heavy flow and best used for tanks that are 6+ feet long.

Now Im thinking of getting 2 gyre 300's and run them off the wave engine.

anyone have any input?

Thanks!

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be happy with the 4s. That is what I would recommend for your tank. I am personally not a gyre fan as I find they need a lot of replacement parts and require much more frequent maintenance than propeller pumps.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now Im thinking of getting 2 gyre 300's and run them off the wave engine.

anyone have any input?

Thanks!

Why the wave engine? The Gyres, assuming they are the Maxspect series, will have better control over the motor block speed.

While not the 300 series I had both an Ice Cap 4k and a Maxspect Gyre XF280 attached to the Wave Engine LE and while it worked there was a hard limit to how fast the Gyres could go. Using the Maxspect controller I could get the pulse to as quick as .5 seconds with the Wave Engine LE I was gated to 2 seconds. Makes a big difference when trying to alternate flow or use anti sync.

I attempted a few times to talk to Hydros support and then gave up. When you get a reply like "how do you know the motor block is actually running at .5 second intervals" sort of ends all forms of communication. Especially when they used to be the sole distributor of Maxspect Gyres and should know...

OP
OP
Blu-J

Blu-J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the wave engine? The Gyres, assuming they are the Maxspect series, will have better control over the motor block speed.

While not the 300 series I had both an Ice Cap 4k and a Maxspect Gyre XF280 attached to the Wave Engine LE and while it worked there was a hard limit to how fast the Gyres could go. Using the Maxspect controller I could get the pulse to as quick as .5 seconds with the Wave Engine LE I was gated to 2 seconds. Makes a big difference when trying to alternate flow or use anti sync.

I attempted a few times to talk to Hydros support and then gave up. When you get a reply like "how do you know the motor block is actually running at .5 second intervals" sort of ends all forms of communication. Especially when they used to be the sole distributor of Maxspect Gyres and should know...
Because I want full control from one app. I don’t want to have to switch between multiple things and I really like the program ability of all the different modes and everything working together.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I want full control from one app. I don’t want to have to switch between multiple things and I really like the program ability of all the different modes and everything working together.

Makes sense. That is one reason why I used the Wave Engine as well. That and I could connect legacy Gyres (xf280) with a newer one (4k).

Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back