H202 and vinegar/vodka

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley any issue dosing these two around the same time? I am currently using one dosing pump to dose a combined mixture of vinegar/vodka 2x/day. I just set up a second dosing pump to dose H202 30 minutes after (2x/day) the vinegar/vodka is dosed. Does this sound reasonable is there any issue with these being dosed around the same time? Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
drawman

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks as always for helping me be on the safe side Randy!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its rare for peroxide to be an ongoing doser in a reef. not that its harmful, but rare indeed. what are you aiming for with it, temp or ongoing was curious>?

the reason I ask is, the bacteria that enjoy the extra carbon may well enjoy some oxygen boosting too I don't think you could dose enough to kill bacteria upon dilution and still have living coral. our tanks react pretty fast with systemically dosed peroxide and your levels sound reasonable. was there an algae problem you are dosing for

OP
OP
drawman

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its rare for peroxide to be an ongoing doser in a reef. not that its harmful, but rare indeed. what are you aiming for with it, temp or ongoing was curious>?

the reason I ask is, the bacteria that enjoy the extra carbon may well enjoy some oxygen boosting too I don't think you could dose enough to kill bacteria upon dilution and still have living coral. our tanks react pretty fast with systemically dosed peroxide and your levels sound reasonable. was there an algae problem you are dosing for
My goal is to eliminate cyanobacteria using twilliard's method. I know it is counterintuitive to do it while carbon dosing (essentially feeding the cyano) and time will tell if it will work. I plan to only run it for 14 days give or take and am dosing 2x/daily :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome cant wait to see if it works. undoubtedly if that was my tank the entire system would be siphoned free of cyano first, so that the method is treating the clean condition against growback, not as a killer + dissolve in tank approach the masses would take. I like that method for sure, but the one tweak Id always do if it was my system is not run that on a tank full of cyano, it'd be on a tank made visually clear of cyano because it was cleaned and siphoned so well before

less biomass target amplifies your odds I guarantee. all these communities we battle are self-supporting. algae masses catch and hold detritus in the tangles, for on-site degredation and feeding close to home. cyano mats confer various benefits from living in a community, as solitaires or as close as you can effect that they're much weaker.

Last edited:
OP
OP
drawman

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome cant wait to see if it works. undoubtedly if that was my tank the entire system would be siphoned free of cyano first, so that the method is treating the clean condition against growback, not as a killer + dissolve in tank approach the masses would take. I like that method for sure, but the one tweak Id always do if it was my system is not run that on a tank full of cyano, it'd be on a tank made visually clear of cyano because it was cleaned and siphoned so well before

less biomass target amplifies your odds I guarantee. all these communities we battle are self-supporting. algae masses catch and hold detritus in the tangles, for on-site degredation and feeding close to home. cyano mats confer various benefits from living in a community, as solitaires or as close as you can effect that they're much weaker.
Actually I have done exactly that with every water change. There really isn't a lot of cyano remaining other than what is on some frags/snails in hard to siphon areas. Just want it out of the equation as it can easily choke out a frag.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 153 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 53 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back