[H2O2 Dip]: Blastos

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tank crash caused by a massive Dino invasion. I've rebooted the tank to save the surviving coral. The only LPS to make it was a Blasto and he's been recovering really well.

However, I've noticed some brown algae growing on the damaged part of his Skelton. This concerns me because (1) it could hinder his regrowth and (2) might be the Dinos hitchhiking.

I'm going to do an H2O2 bath to kill the algae on him. Has anyone specifically dipped Blastos this way? What was the verdict?

Further, google/youtube showed dozens of different concentrations for this dip. Would y'all recommend a 1.5-2 minute dip in 3% H2O2 or should I dilute the mixture and soak for longer to keep the blasto more comfortable?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my recommend is to not contact coral flesh to peroxide the flesh isn't the offending part. Its true those corals are tolerate of one mil per ten gallons peroxide and higher, but in the end its more efficient to treat the frag exactly like a dentist handles a bad tooth, exacting.

the frag should be lifted out and the attachment points for the invasion brushed off directly with a stiff hobby small point paint brush, or if anchored use an actual metal pick and the tip precisely dislodges anchored items, working exactly up to the flesh line but not across it. this is the best way, non peroxide saltwater rinse pick/brush detailing does not contact flesh, thats why its best. that alone with the rinsing off dislodges hitchikers plenty well, the final step is application of 3% peroxide not diluted at all using q tips, on the cleaned areas. this coral can easily sit out ten mins on a counter while being worked, it takes far less time to do a cleaning run detailing.

this method here is more thorough, no coral insult, and applies much stronger peroxide to the place the target shows and never has to work on the target because it was pre removed. all its power is concentrated on leftover cells, this method is current best in the hobby for frag control. dips are harmful and dont dislodge the holdfasts of anchored algae very well.

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my recommend is to not contact coral flesh to peroxide the flesh isn't the offending part. Its true those corals are tolerate of one mil per ten gallons peroxide and higher, but in the end its more efficient to treat the frag exactly like a dentist handles a bad tooth, exacting.

the frag should be lifted out and the attachment points for the invasion brushed off directly with a stiff hobby small point paint brush, or if anchored use an actual metal pick and the tip precisely dislodges anchored items, working exactly up to the flesh line but not across it. this is the best way, non peroxide saltwater rinse pick/brush detailing does not contact flesh, thats why its best. that alone with the rinsing off dislodges hitchikers plenty well, the final step is application of 3% peroxide not diluted at all using q tips, on the cleaned areas. this coral can easily sit out ten mins on a counter while being worked, it takes far less time to do a cleaning run detailing.

this method here is more thorough, no coral insult, and applies much stronger peroxide to the place the target shows and never has to work on the target because it was pre removed. all its power is concentrated on leftover cells, this method is current best in the hobby for frag control. dips are harmful and dont dislodge the holdfasts of anchored algae very well.

This is actually fantastic advice. Thank you for taking the time to say that!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back