Had to make it work. Ghetto filtration.....

  • Thread starter Thread starter BlazinNano
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BlazinNano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 26, 2009
Messages
2,095
Reaction score
1,489
Location
AltamonteSprings, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had to make my skimmer work. The reason I had to was cause it was free. It is an older SunCoast skimmer. Well I only have a 46 gallon bowfront. There is enough room in the stand for a 10 gallon sump. Well with the skimmer and the return pump and heater there was no room at all. So I got a little creative. Maybe a little ghetto. I can not drill holes in the wall to put a sump in the closet so I did this.

403259707_photobucket_11266_.jpg


403259707_photobucket_11264_.jpg


403259707_photobucket_11263_.jpg
 
Hey it works. We all can't be rich. The hob overflow dump into a drilled 10 gallon, then drains into the sump. Skimmer is rated for 150 gallons and it is on a 46 gallon tank. With two 5 gallon sumps (10 gallons only filled half way).
 
haha well done you went McGuyver on that tank, i have the same size display tank my stand is a point of sale so there is no room for a sump at all i have to use canister filters... way to make the best of it
 
Ghetto prices means more $$$ for coral. Looking good, but its not officialy ghetto till i see some Ductape :wink:.
 
Ghetto prices means more $$$ for coral. Looking good, but its not officialy ghetto till i see some Ductape :wink:.

Don't look behind the stand. That stand had no back on it. With the light for the mangroves the room had a super bright night light. Well I put a piece of paneling on it. Where the cords and hoses come it it has black tape to keep as much light in as possible.

Ghetto works for me. The skimmer has pulled more junk in two days then it did for a week straight. Water level stays the same all day in the skimmer tank. Microbubbles are gone from the tank too. Well most are now they are just coming out of the rocks. But in a couple days we should be done with that.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new