Hair algae and dwarf seahorses

bluestar87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair algae is developing in my dwarf seahorse tank. It is barely started but a single strand can tangle up a dwarf seahorse and they can't get free. Any tips to getting rid of this? Nitrate is around 10. I'm not sure about phosphate because my teat malfunctioned but shouldn't be very hight because I do frequent water changes. I can remove the decorations and clean them but it develops again the next day. And suggestions to kill it?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nutrient control is the best option in my opinion, I'm not sure how seahorses would tolerate chemical algaecides. What is your setup like? If there is a way for you to incorporate a skimmer, algae turf scrubber, or refugium that would help. You could also include macroalgae in the display itself to consume the nutrients.

Manual removal is your best bet in the short term - razor for smooth surfaces, firm bristle toothbrush for rock etc.

OP
OP
bluestar87

bluestar87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nutrient control is the best option in my opinion, I'm not sure how seahorses would tolerate chemical algaecides. What is your setup like? If there is a way for you to incorporate a skimmer, algae turf scrubber, or refugium that would help. You could also include macroalgae in the display itself to consume the nutrients.

Manual removal is your best bet in the short term - razor for smooth surfaces, firm bristle toothbrush for rock etc.
Manual removal isn't really fast enough because 1 strand is enough to tangle them up. Is there anything I could dip or wash the decorations in to kill it off

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal isn't really fast enough because 1 strand is enough to tangle them up. Is there anything I could dip or wash the decorations in to kill it off
hydroxide can be used for this purpose, remove the item in question and apply hydroxide to kill the algae.

Back