Hair algae and dwarf seahorses

bluestar87

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 21, 2024
Messages
26
Reaction score
22
Location
Mississippi
What state or country do you live in
Mississippi
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair algae is developing in my dwarf seahorse tank. It is barely started but a single strand can tangle up a dwarf seahorse and they can't get free. Any tips to getting rid of this? Nitrate is around 10. I'm not sure about phosphate because my teat malfunctioned but shouldn't be very hight because I do frequent water changes. I can remove the decorations and clean them but it develops again the next day. And suggestions to kill it?
 
nutrient control is the best option in my opinion, I'm not sure how seahorses would tolerate chemical algaecides. What is your setup like? If there is a way for you to incorporate a skimmer, algae turf scrubber, or refugium that would help. You could also include macroalgae in the display itself to consume the nutrients.

Manual removal is your best bet in the short term - razor for smooth surfaces, firm bristle toothbrush for rock etc.
 
nutrient control is the best option in my opinion, I'm not sure how seahorses would tolerate chemical algaecides. What is your setup like? If there is a way for you to incorporate a skimmer, algae turf scrubber, or refugium that would help. You could also include macroalgae in the display itself to consume the nutrients.

Manual removal is your best bet in the short term - razor for smooth surfaces, firm bristle toothbrush for rock etc.
Manual removal isn't really fast enough because 1 strand is enough to tangle them up. Is there anything I could dip or wash the decorations in to kill it off
 
Manual removal isn't really fast enough because 1 strand is enough to tangle them up. Is there anything I could dip or wash the decorations in to kill it off
hydroxide can be used for this purpose, remove the item in question and apply hydroxide to kill the algae.
 
correct - check out 5:03 in below video.


The peroxide seems to be working great! I took the decorations out 1 at a time and soaked them in peroxide for about 10-15 minutes rinsed and put them back in.
 
The peroxide seems to be working great! I took the decorations out 1 at a time and soaked them in peroxide for about 10-15 minutes rinsed and put them back in.
I'm so glad we were able to help!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new