hair algae in new tank

BIG FISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my 210 about 6 weeks ago and I already am sprouting that stinking hair algae all over.I am not sure what to do my phosphate is only reading at 5. I was thinking maybe a emerald crab or a sea hair. Any idea's would be great.:bigsmile:

xraided199

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because i had the same problem i tried to do a lot of research, even though i had dealt with it a lot in the past. it seemed this time it was more relentless and started much earlier than i thought it would. first off, yes RO water is number 1. i am finally getting my own system in two weeks but i have been bumming water from my boy for a while now, and he has a TDS meter and just changed his media, so i know it is actually clean. also, if your phosphate is actually "5", that's extremely high. if you mean .5, or even .05, that's a diff story. even .5 is very high though, but the main thing i found out is that hair algae will "eat" your phosphates, therefore giving you a false low reading.

i tested mine and i think it was .06 or .08 using a Milwaukee digital meter, and i was stunned. i had hair algae all over the place, and my phosphates were lower than my friend's tank that has been setup for a long time and maybe has 1/1000 of the hair algae i have?!? something wasn't right. so i read up on it and found out that the algae will suck up phosphates and i think even nitrates, giving you a low reading.

try to prune as much as you can manually, especially right before or during a water change, trying to take out as much as you can from the tank. do not let it get out of control like i did, cuz it WILL take over everything. and if you can fit and afford a phosphate reactor, get one. i haven't hooked one up yet, more because of space than cost (two little fishies sells one for around 40-50 bucks), but it will help greatly. and again, like condor mentioned, PLEASE use RO water. it will change everything. tap water is a reef tank's worst enemy. i cannot stress that enough. hope this helps a little! and good luck, because i know how friggin annoying it can be

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you give us a little more information. There are several ways to try and combat hair algae, but we should try and figure out exactly what is causing it. Nutrients and lighting is what it needs to survive. RO/DI water is a must. Depending on what type of corals if any are in your tank, you could start by cutting back your light cycle. Reduce your nutrient import(feedings, supplements). What type of skimmer are you running?

Your tank is still going through it's initial cycle. I hope that your phosphate readings are not 5. You could get some type of media reactor and run gfo, carbon, Phosguard or some other type of phosphate removal media. But lets try and find out for sure where it is coming from. I would also check the water before it goes into the tank, see what your nitrate and phosphates are before it goes into your tank.

nubaquaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personal i would grab some Chaeto Algae to put in the sump and grab a cheap light to put on the algae.

OP
OP
B

BIG FISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank's everyone for your help I did fill my tank with ro-di water with a system I had just bought from spectra pure. I am running a phosphate reactor but I am just using carbon pellets. I think I will prune it back and run phosguard in my reactor.my readings for phosphate were a typo they are .5. I think I will cut back my lights for a while till I can get this under control I only have 5 chromis in there so far. Thank you every one for all the tip's it's been two years since I have had a tank going so I am a little rusty. I am just glad I have found this place it's been a lot of help getting me back going. Thank's again PJ

TANKSALOT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you are head in the right direction PJ.

+1 on this being a GREAT site!

If you can't find tthe answers or get the help here, then you probably don't need it :sure:

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hair algae problem with new tank as well. I run a phosphate reactor. The problem was the rock was stored for over a year and is leaching phosphate. I got a seahare and that sucker cleaned the tank in days. I was going to pass him along so he didn't starve but then he got a little close to the powerhead and got shredded!

OP
OP
B

BIG FISH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor little feller. I prefer to call them snuffelufagus's they just resemble him to me for some reason. If the phosguard doesn't work I think I will get one. I scrubbed my rock (no coral yet so that wasn't bad) and changed the carbon out for phosguard in my reactor. I think I will check it again in 4 or so day's. I am getting color on my rocks so I might be close to coral time.:bigsmile: Thanks again everybody!!!!:smile:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back