Hair algae! Running out of ideas

jsnide925

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am struggling with hair algae and I'm not sure what to do about it. I pick out as much as I can and scrub the rest with a tooth brush. It's not out of control only because I do this every day. I've been doing frequent water changes and have been aggressively skimming. My nitrates and phosphates both read 0 and I also checked my RO and that reads 0 as well. I've cut back on feeding and on my lights but still no luck. I've added a algae blenny and emerald crabs but they don't seem to be helping much. I also tried running phosphate sponge just in case. I had a large diatom and cyano outbreak as well but that has cleared up. Any more suggestions on what I should do? Starting to get very frustrating!

Ontheway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Create a quick competitor. I am using marine snow (TLF). Not sure if it can help in your situation but it helps me fight with green algae on glass, replaces them with brown diatomes. It will possibly steal some bread from hair algae, too.

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a lot of peroxide lol, sounds kinda scary.... that would mean 100ml per dose twice a day in my tank. what size tank you have and how much do you dose?
sorry OP, don't mean to hijack your thread, just this peroxide thing has me intrigued :eek:

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it on my doser to run every two days at 12 hr intervals. 120g tank with 40ish sump filled halfway. I dose 15mls each time. I started using it for this dino outbreak I had but, I'm going to keep doing it since everything looks so good. I had hair algae on the back wall and on some rocks. Its all clear now.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/373326-beating-bryopsis/

that is the best known method for using peroxide to beat GHA and bryopsis, its beyond just dumping it in the water although that does work for many. whats in that link leaves no alternative but full compliance, its a mean/fedup way of being done with algae. to dose anything in the topwater and then wait to see if that kills and invader is the polar opposite of the link above

:)

have fun, this method restores all invaded tanks and it involves total reversal of the direct cause of a GHA problem, leaving it in the tank. the fuel we have to sustain an invasion isn't the cause, directly purposefully not killing it off the rocks is the sole cause.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it on my doser to run every two days at 12 hr intervals. 120g tank with 40ish sump filled halfway. I dose 15mls each time. I started using it for this dino outbreak I had but, I'm going to keep doing it since everything looks so good. I had hair algae on the back wall and on some rocks. Its all clear now.
So 1ml per 10 gallons?

clsbgirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def get Rodi system, i bought a BRS one off of ebay for 30 bucks & it works awesome. I had a mini outbreak not this bad but i scrubbed the crap out of the rocks with a heavy duty brush, killed my lights for 2 days & did a water change. Havent had a problem since, also keep tabs on alk & ph

HanKami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try this, go on eBay order 50 margarita snails with free shipping, also look if you can find 100 blue hermits with free shipping. That's should control your outbreak. However if it's byopsis the use the magnesium dosing approach, However if you have mushrooms in your tank X the magnesium approach, I don't thing shrooms like magnesium that much.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 111 42.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 126 48.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 24 9.2%
Back